BC Mule Deer Quest

longgunshooter

howdy all,

With out getting into too many details, putting a mulie in the BC book will be the last one to complete my "Mulie Book Slam". I have put a few in the "other" books in the past.

All on public land.

This one will be no exception...

My question for you that read this is, out of the 300 win mag and a 6.5/284 wich would you carry. Ranges expected to put a bullet through one of these brute's could be in the 900 realm. Not real loooong but out there none the less.

I just need some info to start practicing. Does one "out shine" the other enough to merit using one over the other. Both shoot equally well. With a slight nod to the 6.5 producing better groups at 500....

Thankyou.

[ QUOTE ]
Both shoot equally well. With a slight nod to the 6.5 producing better groups at 500....

[/ QUOTE ]

I would look FIRST at how well these two rifles compare at the longest range that you are willing to shoot. You may see a much bigger difference than you anticipate.

With that said, @ 700-900yds there is certainly something to be said about raw horsepower. Given equally accurate rifles at extended range, I'd opt for the 300 mag and 200-220gr class bullets. But then again, the only hunting I do, at that range, is for varmints. Every knows they need a lot of killing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since you are going for a very large Mulie, I would pick the 300WM with 200gr bullets. You should have no problem taking out a deer at 900 yards with this combo.

i'm gonna jump on the wagon that's goin huntin again also. i too would prefer a 33 but between the 2 choices you gave,i'd take the 300 hands down.it's not even close.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.