BC jetboat elk hunt

gun_rat82

The RMR crew & I skipped work on friday, loaded up the boats and headed out to a secret river of ours. There was a warm front coming in a couple days and there was on & off rain, helping water levels be a little more navigable.
We boated 2 1/2hrs upstream to our camp and got settled in for the night.
042.jpg

At first light Tim and I picked our way up the river valley cow calling but were'nt getting much action. We stopped and B.S.'d for a bit cow calling every couple minutes and started to move out and I spotted this guy cheking us out

049.jpg

He spooked after a bit, but we cow called as soon as he left and he held up over the hill. We moved to a spruce and cow called & bugled at him but still not a peep out of him, but he was curious and wanted to get a better look at us. He was only at 80yds but we were having a hard time seeing his antlers all we could see was that he was at least a 5x5, not enough for our 6 point season. So we decided to have some fun with him and started bugling and raking trees...That got his attention. He charged in towards us and we noticed he had a squeeker 6th point. At that point I figured we had come that far and it would be packing downhill the whole way. I passed my vid cam to Tim and smashed him behind the shoulder, he humped-up and I shot it in the lungs again. He reared up and shot downhill and crashed into some trees and fell into a depression. We hardly lost sight of him and started celebrating.

059.jpg

057.jpg

We were only a couple miles from camp, but I only took my daypack, so to save us an extra trip I traded Tim for his packframe and loaded the front and rear quaters of one side and we made our way down to camp.

063.jpg

067.jpg

After sandwiches and gallons of water we made our second trip and snagged the rest of the meat and I did a mountaintop european with my hand saw to save some weight on the head!
An hour after we were in camp we were feasting on backstraps in mushroom gravy and sipping corona's.
I used my Rem 700 300 wsm from my budget 300wsm thread and 168gr Barnes TSX over 67gr RL19, Leica geovids, Firefish jetboats, and a little Quaker horesepower;)
life doesn't get much better and I felt blessed.

My hunting partners also had goat tags for the area and saw several and Greg nearly got a dandy billy with his bow but the wind got switchy and it cut out of there before Rod could smash it with a rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.