BC Goat Hunt rifle suggestions

I actually own the Marlin 45-70 and use it for bear and lion hunting with hounds. Love that rifle and you will I'm sure. I may need to consider using it for goats. Would just hate not being able to reach out 3-400 confidently should the shot require it.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but would like to hear more of your thoughts on correctly horse packing some of the long range gear showing up in camps.

If you have time, and inclination a new thread on this would be a good read.
Sounds like you are a horseman or a mule skinner. My first concern is about the stock, so balancing loads is really key for me so I favour lighter shorter versions. I always take a packhorse,even on evening hunts after work. Make sure the ponies get along and often put extra gear in that easily accessible pack. My hunting rifles are not long barreled and I often carry them across my lap in a gun boot that I made for this purpose.I like having a 2nd horse along for many reasons but the top two reasons have to be 1)I can swing up without all the encumbrances and 2)when you leave the stock behind to go up the mountain they have each other for company and there is no fuss. I carry a scabbard on the saddle horse,off side,muzzle forward but I like leg contact and the rifle under the stirrup bothers me. I can get a good amount of an elk out in one trip if required also,if you don't the grizzlies will claim it by morning Hope this makes some sense to you...Cheers. I did kinda go on and on about this....whoops.

I thought I would one more thing.This year I decided to recreate a goat hunt of the past, or a mountain close to me that hunters used a .405 winchester to kill goats,sheep and grizzly bear with.I looked for a .405 and didn't find one so I bought a Marlin gbl 45/70-same trajectory. I will use it to kill a Billy this fall(with 405 grain hardcasts)and iron sights like the old timers did in a book about our area.You can get close to goats,I have hit them with pebbles from above.Anotomically,they are designed to look down and looking up is difficult for them, imo.If you want to learn something about goats one of the best books was written 100 years ago by WT Hornady"Campfires in the Canadian Rockies" It is out of print but easy to get a knockoff print of it.I don't know if you are a reader but if you are- you will love it.Just thinking out loud I suppose.....Tony

I shot mine at 25 yards. My mind is going I used to know what the Babine record goat of 1949 was taken with, and the Chadwick Ram also. Last I knew of both were in the Cody Buffalo Bill museum. I don't remember exactly, but the Chadwick Ram was killed with a European round, something between 10-11mm is all I remember.

Thanks for the book tip.

I actually own the Marlin 45-70 and use it for bear and lion hunting with hounds. Love that rifle and you will I'm sure. I may need to consider using it for goats. Would just hate not being able to reach out 3-400 confidently should the shot require it.
Don't take the big bore..the .300 is much better. I can afford to try things here ,200 yards is a reach for the Buffalo gun. The 45/70 is a great saddle gun though,otherwise.

I shot mine at 25 yards. My mind is going I used to know what the Babine record goat of 1949 was taken with, and the Chadwick Ram also. Last I knew of both were in the Cody Buffalo Bill museum. I don't remember exactly, but the Chadwick Ram was killed with a European round, something between 10-11mm is all I remember.

Thanks for the book tip.
That museum is quite something I here. The Chadwick ram is amazing specimen and collected on a meat hunt...so I remember. I am planning a trip into that country again for Stones this summer. They grow some big goats on our west coast,I haven't been there despite it being in my province.If a guy was patient you would get a book goat here as well. I think it is better to go a little later to ensure a fully haired up Billy in our region-summer hair is gone by 1 st week in October. Cheers

Don't take the big bore..the .300 is much better. I can afford to try things here ,200 yards is a reach for the Buffalo gun. The 45/70 is a great saddle gun though,otherwise.

Taking your advice for weapons. Having a 300SAUM I have in the safe set up for the hunt. 22inch barrel, mcmillan mountain rifle stock, nice and simple. Will be a short and very maneuverable and weigh in at about 7.5 lbs scoped. Totally forgot about having this rifle in my safe as I don't use it much, but I think it has finally found its purpose!

Taking your advice for weapons. Having a 300SAUM I have in the safe set up for the hunt. 22inch barrel, mcmillan mountain rifle stock, nice and simple. Will be a short and very maneuverable and weigh in at about 7.5 lbs scoped. Totally forgot about having this rifle in my safe as I don't use it much, but I think it has finally found its purpose!
Sounds like a great mountain rifle

You'll likely be able to close the distance on a goat before taking your shot. Most of the goats I've observed spend 95% of the time looking at their front hooves.
That versus sheep that spend the majority of their time scanning distant ground, watching for danger.

Just learned I drew a local goat permit hunt for this fall. Looking forward to it. Always fun to hunt above treeline in the mountains!

Just learned I drew a local goat permit hunt for this fall. Looking forward to it. Always fun to hunt above treeline in the mountains!

That's awesome! Congrats and best of luck. Be sure to post a photo if you whack a Billie.

Out of curiosity what is everyone's bullet choice for goats. I currently have my rifle set up for the nosler 180gr e-tip but I am afraid it won't expand enough on goatsto put them down where they stand. It's my worst nightmare to watch my trophy walk off a ledge. Was considering some 200gr accubond spitzers. Thoughts or suggestions?

I've shot goats with Nosler Partitions, Nosler Ballistic Tips, and Berger VLDs. They all performed very effectively.

I've shot Dall rams with both of the two bullets you mentioned from my 300 Win Mag. The Nosler E-tip actually opened more aggressively than the 200gr Nosler Accubonds. Either bullet should kill efficiently with good shot placement.

ADD: But I don't recommend the Berger VLD. Had some issues with them on sheep, which are the same size as goats. I'd suggest the E-tip or a 180gr Nosler spitzer Accubond. The 200gr Accubonds I've shot expanded, but they seemed to be pretty stout. The 180s might open a bit more aggressively due to the higher initial, and therefore impact, velocity. A 180gr Ballistic Tip should also do the trick.

That's awesome! Congrats and best of luck. Be sure to post a photo if you whack a Billie.

Out of curiosity what is everyone's bullet choice for goats. I currently have my rifle set up for the nosler 180gr e-tip but I am afraid it won't expand enough on goatsto put them down where they stand. It's my worst nightmare to watch my trophy walk off a ledge. Was considering some 200gr accubond spitzers. Thoughts or suggestions?

my wife shot hers 2 years ago at just under 500 yards with her 308. she was shooting some 165g game kings. the goat took about 5 steps and it was all over.

Thanks for the advice. Have had great luck on larger game with E tips so nice to hear they performed on sheep and goats. I'll probably stick with them for now then.

If you'll be hunting near the coast, expect rain, lots of rain. My wife and I spent 4 days in a tent with no floor. We were so socked in that the plane couldn't fly in to pick us up. Tape the muzzle, to keep the bore dry. If you're still thinking of buying a rifle, I would get stainless steel.