Battle of the project guns

Of the options listed, choose one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rifleman97

So basically I'm wanting to buy a reasonably cheap 300 WSM (already have reloading stuff and brass for it so cartridge is not going to change) and mount a fairly high power scope for 1000 yard steel and paper shooting.
After I've had the gun a while, I want to replace the stock with a benchrest type stock, better trigger (if need be) and eventually a full length bull barrel in 300 wsm (or maybe something different, but sticking with 30 cal short action)
Essentially it will start out as a makeshift long range practice gun, and morph into a benchrest gun over time.

Criteria
Price $750 or less for rifle (gun only)
Stainless Action and barrel (high humidity most of the year)
Stock that isn't so bad you have to replace it the day you buy it (not flimsy)
Factory chambered in 300 WSM, I don't want to have to change the barrel right away.
Good action for benchrest as I'd like to use it to see what I can do at a couple local 1000 yard competitions locally so if the action is inherently bad at BR than its a no no.

I've never done a benchrest competition or even been to a 1000 yard comp so I don't know the norm, however I have narrowed my choices down to a few. Feel free to mention others but these are the main ones I'm considering at the moment.

Savage 16 Weather Warrior
Tikka T3X Lite
Remington 700 SPS Stainless
Remington Seven Stainless
Or pony up a little more money for a Winchester 70 extreme weather or coyote light, although I'd rather stay under $750.

I know none are really ideal, Remington has kinda gone to crap, I've never heard of a Tikka action being used for a benchrest rifle, although I've seen a few savages for benchrest people complain about bolt lift, and I'd rather not pay $900 (buds guns cash price for the win 70 extreme weather) and even if I do spend more on the winchester, I'd be spending more on barrels down the road due to the slot that has to be cut into them for the extractor.

Any ideas? Won't be making a purchase for another month or two.

Setting up a poll, choose what you think are the best two options.

Well I had a Savage 16 WW in 300RUM and I didn't care for it at all! The stock was a poor design and really kicked HARD! Why not buy something to shoot now..As you start rounding up parts to build the rifle of your dreams? It might take longer
but it will be just what you want.

Tika is going to give you room to run the big bullets, I'd put the howa long action in there as well. They come straight you can now do a barrel nut and a McGown, Crieterion and whatever you want from bugholes as he cuts them too.
Savage has a long center feed box as well as a barrel nut. They have the target trigger option. For bench work a clean lightweight trigger will disturb the rifle on the bags much less than a standard trigger

The tikka has a 1:11 twist barrel for right now, not optimal for heavy high bc bullets until you swap the barrel.
If it's purely a bench gun - the tikka, win extreme, and seven are lightweight hunting guns probably not the best for target. You said the coyote is out of your price range for now. That leaves the savage or rem700. The 700 seremdo has a heavier profile barrel and a long mag box (wyatts) could be added later, and the 700 has more aftermarket options available for upgrading later. Looks like you've answered your own question.

By the time you put a decent stock on the Remington you're within spitting distance of the Winchester (either one will need a trigger). Accustocks aren't too bad. No experience with Tikka.

The coyote lite has a little extra meat on it. Sounds like that would be a nice fit for what you want to do with it.

Last edited:
remington 700's " long range "rifles come with a HS precision or Bell and Carlson stocks . locally these cost around $800 the stainless SPS cost around $650 . the SPS stocks are just injection molded plastic . you would probably want to change the SPS stock right away .

Pre freedom group 700.

Doesn't need to be Stainless, take the extra money and cerakote it if you're worried.

Otherwise, Tikka I guess.

So basically I'm wanting to buy a reasonably cheap 300 WSM (already have reloading stuff and brass for it so cartridge is not going to change) and mount a fairly high power scope for 1000 yard steel and paper shooting.
After I've had the gun a while, I want to replace the stock with a benchrest type stock, better trigger (if need be) and eventually a full length bull barrel in 300 wsm (or maybe something different, but sticking with 30 cal short action)
Essentially it will start out as a makeshift long range practice gun, and morph into a benchrest gun over time.

Criteria
Price $750 or less for rifle (gun only)
Stainless Action and barrel (high humidity most of the year)
Stock that isn't so bad you have to replace it the day you buy it (not flimsy)
Factory chambered in 300 WSM, I don't want to have to change the barrel right away.
Good action for benchrest as I'd like to use it to see what I can do at a couple local 1000 yard competitions locally so if the action is inherently bad at BR than its a no no.

I've never done a benchrest competition or even been to a 1000 yard comp so I don't know the norm, however I have narrowed my choices down to a few. Feel free to mention others but these are the main ones I'm considering at the moment.

Savage 16 Weather Warrior
Tikka T3X Lite
Remington 700 SPS Stainless
Remington Seven Stainless
Or pony up a little more money for a Winchester 70 extreme weather or coyote light, although I'd rather stay under $750.

I know none are really ideal, Remington has kinda gone to crap, I've never heard of a Tikka action being used for a benchrest rifle, although I've seen a few savages for benchrest people complain about bolt lift, and I'd rather not pay $900 (buds guns cash price for the win 70 extreme weather) and even if I do spend more on the winchester, I'd be spending more on barrels down the road due to the slot that has to be cut into them for the extractor.

Any ideas? Won't be making a purchase for another month or two.

Setting up a poll, choose what you think are the best two options.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think winchesters short action is actually a medium action - 3.1" or something that will allow you to shoot the heavier longer bullets a little easier and run them through the mag.

I have a 325wsm in the coyote lite - i freaking love the platform, just not the cartridge. If mine was a 7wsm or a 300 wsm it would probably be my favorite gun. The bell and carlson stock is nice and feels good. Mine has the blued fluted barrel, just looks and feels really cool imo.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think winchesters short action is actually a medium action - 3.1" or something that will allow you to shoot the heavier longer bullets a little easier and run them through the mag.

I have a 325wsm in the coyote lite - i freaking love the platform, just not the cartridge. If mine was a 7wsm or a 300 wsm it would probably be my favorite gun. The bell and carlson stock is nice and feels good. Mine has the blued fluted barrel, just looks and feels really cool imo.
I'm pretty sure you're right, the reason I was thinking EW over coyote light was because the coyote has a blued action and stainless barrel, the EW has stainless action and stainless barrel.

I don't mind Cerakote, but other than plain practicality, I like the look of stainless. The coyote is still an option though.

My last build was on a Winchester EW with the Bell and Carlson stock. I also have a few other variations of the Model 70 in the safe. The lightweight barrel never lived up well to my accuracy expectations at range. A barrel change to a 31" heavy bartlein transitional twist solved that issue. A Timney trigger was a good upgrade. I also replaced the bottom metal to accept AICS 300 win magazines as that just makes the rig more user friendly. Nothing wrong with the factory internal magazine and hinged bottom metal. I love the three position safety, controlled feed and extraction, mine are all hunting rifles first and foremost. I've never had an issue with feed, fire, extraction or ejection with any of my rifles. The Winchester isn't the cheapest option you've listed and all of them should be able to fit the bill with modifications. Pick what you like, what best fits your hunting style and lastly your financial situation. A good rifle should be a life-long investment that you can pass on.

Last edited:
With the future in mind I would go with the Tikka. As stated it will give you room to throat for bullets seated where they should be on your second barrel. The problem from the start as already stated is it has an 11 twist which is not optimal.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.