bat machine or stiller

myrifleisLapua

if your buying a 408 size action would you go with the stiller or the bat . the model L 2.0" is 1480$ left hand bolt with right ejection . Im left handed so i figured on a custom rifle why not never had a left hand rifle for myself . also to me it looks better than the stiller tac408 . plus i think i can order from bat on their website and have it shipped to my gunsmith .

May be just personal preference, but i'd get the Bat action, they are awesome and simple, but quality.

It looks more heavy duty. Probably gonna make the stock price go up from what I've got from joel russo. But I think it will be worth it. Do it right do it once. I hate the rem700 look of the stiller.

myrifleisLapua:

As I read the pricing on the BAT site, I make the price for left bolt/right port to be $1400 (base $1350 plus $50 for left bolt), not $1480 - "saves" you $80.

As long as you don't need a repeater, and you're willing to muscle the extra weight (100 oz vs 61 oz), and your stock will support a 2.0" round action, you are, IMHO, much better off with the L2R BAT. Slightly shorter than the Stiller (0.250), MUCH heavier construction, unmatched quality, and, also IMHO, a much cleaner, slicker look. I've asked Stiller whether they'd produce their TAC408 repeater with the rounded port opening of their Diamondback but no go.

Enjoy your BAT. You won't have any reason to look back.

if your buying a 408 size action would you go with the stiller or the bat . the model L 2.0" is 1480$ left hand bolt with right ejection . Im left handed so i figured on a custom rifle why not never had a left hand rifle for myself . also to me it looks better than the stiller tac408 . plus i think i can order from bat on their website and have it shipped to my gunsmith .

I like Stiller BUT when you throw Bat in the mix, it would make my choice easy. Bat are second to none.

I shoot a Stiller Diamondback 6br right bolt left port drop port. If I was shooting a 408 size case I would not want the port on the same side as my face with 100+ grains of powder. Might not be an issue but it wouldn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Rimfire:

As you probably know, the left port is an option on the BAT - add $50. Possibly that is how the poster got the $1480...notwithstanding that would still only total $1450.

In any case, your point is well taken. I second it - and he still "saves" $30.

Have you given any thought to Kirby's, APS Raptor action? I'm not aware if it comes in LH & RH, but it would most definately be worth looking into if your comparing best of the best. Kirby is somewhat of a pioneer, & a definate "go to guy" for anything based off of the Cheytac. He also sells his APS Raptor actions, should you already have a different builder lined up.
Worth a look IMO.

winmag:

The Allen Precision Shooting "Raptor" action supports the Allen Xpress line of cartridges, not the Allen Magnum line (some of which are 408 CT-based) - see the Raptor page - Raptor Receivers

Other possible actions that support 408 CT-based cartridges are shown on my Rifle Components webpage (legend numbers 2 and 3) and include Barnard P-Chey, Snowy Mountain 600 (and possibly 450 - can't confirm as their site is undergoing redesign and the product pages are not up), the Noreen ULR single shot, and the next to largest of the Xtreme actions from Xtreme Machining.

That noted, the poster seems focused on Stiller or BAT. As before, between those two, my recommendation (based on my hands-on assessment of both) is the BAT.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.