BAT actions

squeaker

Anyone have any experience with the BAT machine repeating actions?
Id like to see what the bottom of some of the reapeating actions look like to see how beefy they are and how but the cutouts are.
Also is BAt making integral/built in scope rails on their actions?
[email protected]

I owned one briefly (repeater model) and was going to use it for a new build. Very stout action. One thing that should be noted...it is NOT a drop in fit for most stocks that are inletted for a Remmy 700. The recoil lug is thicker toward the BACK of the action.
So you might have to remove a bit of the stock to allow for the recoil lug to fit. Not that big of a deal but worth thinking about.

I had a 1000 yard bench rifle that used a BAT single shot action....they are nice actions.

Bellow is a picture of the one I had. I ended up using a Surgeon 591 for my build.

Take care,Stan

I have a 6.5x284 built on a BAT HRPIC action. Short Answer: it is the best action I have ever owned.

Longer Answer: I have rifles built on all sorts of different actions from "blueprinted" Remington 700's and Winchester Model 70's to Nesika MT's. All are good actions but to me the BAT HRPIC stands out for several reasons.

First, the action is without question the smoothest functioning action of any I have owned. It feels as though the bolt is running all ball bearings when the action is cycled.

Second, it comes with an integral 20 moa rail. This is a huge advantage to me because you don't have to think about buying bases, mounting them, getting them pinned, etc or worry about them coming loose at the worst possible moment.

Third, the bolt can be easily disassembled without tools in the field for cleaning.

Fourth, it readily accepts Remington 700 components like Jewell triggers, etc.

Fifth, BAT has been very helpful the times I have called and asked questions. Also, the action is less expensive than some other custom actions and mine was shipped in a reasonable time frame.

Sixth, it comes with an integral recoil lug which to my mind offers similar advantages to the integral 20 moa rail.

Seventh, I am using an HS Precision center feed detachable magazine and it feeds excellent.

Eighth, the extractor is built into the locking lug and it seems to capture the cases as well or better than a Sako style extractor but it ejects them much better because the spent cases fly straight to the side rather than at an upward angle like Sako extractors that are installed in Remingtons.

Ninth, although I never took any measurements myself, my gunsmith tells me that the action was very "square and true" and required no additional "blueprinting".

Tenth, the rifle flat out shoots bullets into one ragged hole at 100 yards. Granted there is a lot more at play here than the action but I certainly wouldn't like it as much if it shot poorly.

Eleventh, the action looks good. It is not overly bulky or showy--it just works.

Hopefully you find these observations useful.

My 338 Lapua improved is built on a BAT HRPIC and I would have to agree, it's about the smoothest action I have ever held in my hands.

There are others that make a very nice action but I don't know of ANY, that are better.

BAT makes a great action! However, they would not be my first choice for a hunting gun in normal hunting environments which I think is the key question here.

For BR and other limited applications, they are absolutely one of the very best.

They by nature are extremely tight and have slightly softer metal which IMO is a detriment on a hunting repeater.

Specifically, I locked up one of my BATS with one very small piece of grit that got between the lugs and we had to take the barrel off to unlock the bolt. It actually scored the lug and back of the barrel.

IMO those are qualities that are not conducive to hunting environments and repeating hunting guns.

There are too many high quality actions that make better and just as accurate hunting guns. My first choice now would be the Tooley Orion with the melonited fluted bolt and M16 or Sako extractor for $850 with thicker trued recoil lug. Wyatts extended mag or DBM goes right on also, rem trigger, rem bottom metal, magazines etc..

Dave also sells the 20MOA bases if you want.

My Orion is as smooth as my BATs and has all the same qualities. I like the M16 extractor better than the Sako.

For a hunting gun, a great action for $850 that is probably in stock or a $1200 that has a 6 month wait. Your call, but that is my take owning both.

here are some pics and info

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/tooley-orion-action-pics-requested-56798/

BH

Last edited:
BAT makes a great action! However, they would not be my first choice for a hunting gun in normal hunting environments which I think is the key question here.

For BR and other limited applications, they are absolutely one of the very best.

They by nature are extremely tight and have slightly softer metal which IMO is a detriment on a hunting repeater.

Specifically, I locked up one of my BATS with one very small piece of grit that got between the lugs and we had to take the barrel off to unlock the bolt. It actually scored the lug and back of the barrel.

IMO those are qualities that are not conducive to hunting environments and repeating hunting guns.

BH

For once I agree with BH on the above quoted statements.

I believe Stiller makes the Orion for Dave Tooley. Does anyone know the difference between the Stiller and the Orion made by Stiller? Is it just a port length difference or ?????????

There are too many high quality actions that make better and just as accurate hunting guns. My first choice now would be the Tooley Orion with the melonited fluted bolt and M16 or Sako extractor for $850 with thicker trued recoil lug. Wyatts extended mag or DBM goes right on also, rem trigger, rem bottom metal, magazines etc..

Dave also sells the 20MOA bases if you want.

My Orion is as smooth as my BATs and has all the same qualities. I like the M16 extractor better than the Sako.

For a hunting gun, a great action for $850 that is probably in stock or a $1200 that has a 6 month wait. Your call, but that is my take owning both.

here are some pics and info

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/tooley-orion-action-pics-requested-56798/

BH

BH,

Did you need to do any work on the action after this occured?

Jon

I'm sure BH will answer, just adding my fix to a tight tolerance BAT.

Have a comp rifle that has an early BAT "M". Tolerances were held much tighter on the early actions. Halfway through my string of shots, the bolt would tighten in he raceways and be difficult to cycle. Heat was the culprit as the expansion caused the problem. Shooting a magnum wildcat cartridge.
I hand lapped to increase the tolerance, which solved the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.