bat action tight!

A trigger is not going to change how it opens. It will open the same with a trigger once its fired. If its opening hard now there may be an issue.

A trigger is not going to change how it opens. It will open the same with a trigger once its fired. If its opening hard now there may be an issue.

Well like I said, it isn't any harder than some of my factory rifles. I just expected it to feel the way it did when I had the firing pin out. Not real difficult...just sticky

Sorry to double post guys but if anyone has a solution id really appreciate any feedback. Is it the spring, can I fix it or send it back. Anyone? As I said its sooo smooth with the firing pin out if it.thanks guys

YES I tried it and it was SOOOOOOOO SMOOOTH! Does that mean there is something wrong with my firing pin! I wish it felt like that all the time!

No, there is nothing "wrong" with your firing pin. What you are describing has 2 causes.

Firstly, this will smooth up with firing as the bolt lugs bed into the action and the bolt internal mating surfaces in the bolt wear against each other.

However (cause no 2) you are also feeling the effect of the firing pin spring. This is why everything feels smooth with the firing pin removed. Of course you need a firing pin spring for the rifle to work, but it is possible to reduce the spring pressure.

I have 5 BAT actions at the moment, and all are shot in benchrest competition. To minimise the effect of bolt lift disturbing the rifle in the bags, I have had several actions modified with a weight added to the firing pin, so as to enable a lighter spring to be used without effecting primer strike. A good benchrest gunsmith will do this mod for around $200.

I would suggest that you get some rounds through the rifle to let it settle in and loosen up, then assess what you think about the bolt.

No, there is nothing "wrong" with your firing pin. What you are describing has 2 causes.

Firstly, this will smooth up with firing as the bolt lugs bed into the action and the bolt internal mating surfaces in the bolt wear against each other.

However (cause no 2) you are also feeling the effect of the firing pin spring. This is why everything feels smooth with the firing pin removed. Of course you need a firing pin spring for the rifle to work, but it is possible to reduce the spring pressure.

I have 5 BAT actions at the moment, and all are shot in benchrest competition. To minimise the effect of bolt lift disturbing the rifle in the bags, I have had several actions modified with a weight added to the firing pin, so as to enable a lighter spring to be used without effecting primer strike. A good benchrest gunsmith will do this mod for around $200.

I would suggest that you get some rounds through the rifle to let it settle in and loosen up, then assess what you think about the bolt.

Geez 200 more dollars on an action he just paid 1600$for?!

Went ahead and emailed jamie at wolf precision to see if if he thinks it is normal. Id really like to stay away from spending another 200 dollars on an action that is supposed to be smooth right out of the box. Some guys have mentioned putting in a trigger. Im going to do thay now!

Mate, I dont work for BAT, I am just telling him what I think is the cause and how to fix it. I also told him to start by shooting the action, as it is quite possible that shooting it alone will solve the issue.

I understand, it just seems there aren't many people having this kind of problems out of their custom actions. What is the point of getting a custom action if u have to end up modifying it anyway after you receive it?

I understand, it just seems there aren't many people having this kind of problems out of their custom actions. What is the point of getting a custom action if u have to end up modifying it anyway after you receive it?

I can't agree that this is not a common issue. Based on my experience in competition circles, it is very common to find this issue. I have discussed it with a number of shooters, and there are many BR gunsmiths doing modifications to firing pins and/or firing pin springs on BAT actions.

As I said, I have 5 BAT actions, and several have been modified to improve bolt lift. One of my BATs is very smooth, and that is just based on wear from usage.

I am not trying to say it is acceptable, but I don't think the issue is uncommon. It may not be well understood by many new purchasers of BAT actions though.

Another point here is that the stiff bolt lift is subjective. His stiff bolt lift might not be everyone's stiff bolt lift. I have a Savage that is horrible. I would like to mod it, and still might, but it might be butter smooth to some of y'all.

It's definitely that spring your fighting. Let us know what BAT says. Would a lighter spring make the bolt lift easier??

Holding an action in your hand and opening isn't the same as when it is in a stock. it might feel better in a stock. The weight and modified firing pin is more about ignition then opening it. It is designed to give more hit on the primer to shoot the harder primers like Wolf and CCI and not get hangfires. A lot of the new BATS are coming through with the modification done. Matt

Appreciate it guys, Jamie emailed me today and he assures me that once a nice trigger is installed and I put a stock/barrel on it the action will be smooth enough to operate with 2 fingers. I have no other choice than to trust him at this point. I don't mind a little stiffness but right now I'm kinda disappointed, I hope Jamie is right!
Thanks again

Recent Posts