Basic starter kit for 7mm REM MAG specifically

Hi everyone - wife and I picked up 2 hunting rifles last weekend - grew up shooting but its been 30 years.

We both got the last 7mm Rem Mag tikka t3x's at cabelas here nearby- beautiful pieces and incredible workmanship..

So Im curious about doing some home reloading and not quite sure what affordable units (100-200 range) would have the dies I need as well as be able to do the red tip ammo (forgot name), is it hornady edl-x? i read that it may need a special die or something to make-

I guess we will plan do do mid game hunting (deer etc) and move up as we gain experience..

Thanks!

I'm using Redding S Type Bushing FL dies and RCBS Gold Metal Match Midrometer seater dies for 7RM. Highly recommend

IMO, a bushing die to ensure consistent neck tension and a micrometer seater is a need to have. Don't cheap out on the dies. To order the correct bushing, measure the neck diameter of a case with a seared bullet (make sure it's with the brass you plan on using), subtract .001 from that measurement and order that size bushing. (.001 next tension) and I'd probably order another one for .002 neck tension to start.

Another must have piece of gear imo, is the Hornady OAL case length gauge with modified case and their gauges for measuring Base to Ogive. Will enable you to find your rifles lands and seat bullets accordingly for the right amount of jump.

I had a hard time finding a modified case for 7RM so I sent them 2 pieces of 1x fired brass (don't bother depriming) and $15. They sent me back a modified case within a week or so.

Last edited:
@CamaroMan shoot me a PM with your address and I will get out some 7mm mag brass and some bullets you can start with. If your building race engines then you already have a jump start. Cleanliness, a good data log and detailed labeling will keep you out of trouble and save precious components, I made that mistake more than once.

Aloha, Banga

Hey man that wd be awesome thanks! Was away for 2 days- 1100 mile round trip drive :/ I just got an email from Lee saying the pro 1000 can NOT do 7mm rounds - so i gotta send it back!

man they make it complicated lol-

Hey man that wd be awesome thanks! Was away for 2 days- 1100 mile round trip drive :/ I just got an email from Lee saying the pro 1000 can NOT do 7mm rounds - so i gotta send it back!

man they make it complicated lol-
Honestly a single stage is going to be your best bet for rifle stuff. I saw a RockChucker on Amazon for like $180.

Hi. I teach reloading here locally, and I would highly recommend the Lee Combo Reloading kits! Good place to start! I also highly recommend the Lee Collet Dies! They are much more accurate than most! I like the Lee and Hornady manuals. For the 7RM you might try H4350 and R26 powders. Maybe the 160gn AB for you, and 130-140gn for your wife. CCI or Win primers. Stick to mid range loads to start, then work up toward max later. I'd start shooting with Hornady factory loads for now. Good luck!
Gr8 thanks - ill have a look.

Im leaning towards the Lee classic turret and will probably do manual indexing - learned so much in the past few days.

Ill let you know if I have more questions- fellas have been great answering so in depth, gr8 bunch of knowledgeable ppl here :)

Why not buy used. Buy a used RCBS Rockchucker (not the budget model). Shop E-Bay for a used sizing die. You will want a new Hornady seating die (be careful to read the instructions to avoid chrimping) with the VLD stem to avoid crushing the tip. The goal should be to end up with a Redding "Type S" full length bushing die. Again look for these used. With a set of Redding Competition shell holders (also for sale often used) you can adjust the shoulder bump and outside neck diameter. The third die is the Sinclair Expander, which replaces the "button" on the size die for the final neck tension. The best inside button on a die is the Forster "Bonanza" design, but the 600 and 1000 yard bench rest guys have proven better results with the custom mandrels in the Sinclair die.

The ELD seating die is below:
The Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Seater Die is a great die for the avid reloader. The Seater Die will improve your bullet seating and accuracy with its floating bullet alignment sleeve and stem. The floating sleeve is designed to align the bullet and case prior to seating, preventing any deformations on the base of the bullet.
Brand: Hornady
Price Range: $30.40 - $35.99
Die Type: Bullet Seater
th
saw your handle 65wsm I am in the process of having one built just picked up Lee dies specifically for 6.5WSM are they acceptable ?

I started 50 years ago watching a guy, then loadding my brass on his equip. That showed me what components I wanted to get. I bought the equipment as I found it - used. I reload about 3,000 rifle/pistol a year and still use the same equip.
Read the manuals, then read them again and be safe. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Good Luck.

saw your handle 65wsm I am in the process of having one built just picked up Lee dies specifically for 6.5WSM are they acceptable ?
I have a "Collet" set of Lee Dies, I regularly use both for my 6.5 WSMs. The seater has the sliding sleeve, which is a copy of the Bonanza (now built by Forster). It was designed and built before the long range, long ogive, craze. I use it for 85 and 100gr "varmint" hollow points for coyotes and crows this time of year. I prefer Wilson arbor dies, for Berger VLD bullets and Hornady has a specific stem for their ELD tipped bullets. You can, with epoxy bedding compound, tune almost any seating stem, to a particular bullet tip and prevent dimpling of the fragile jacket tapered behind the plastic.

A 2 die set will do everything you need it to.

No. you will at a minimum need, a set of calipers, powder scale, chamfer tool, Lube, don't forget the lube.
(surely I'm forgetting something)

I haven't read thru this whole darn thread but I'll chime in by adding please invest $100 in a Pro Chrono and clock your loads right from the get go. ..................

I forgot to mention, I had Lee grind a special mandrel for their collet size die, so now I have two different neck tensions to use. I still use an inside the neck expander mandrel following sizing because I get more uniform tension than I can with outside size dies. The beauty of the collet die is that you can rotate the case 90 degrees and size a second time, which will straighten case necks, so you have very little runout.

Welcome to the site from another Californian.

Reloading, as you have read here is as complex as you want it to be. Some posters are hunters (1MOA) and some want to put every shot @ .0001 MOA. You have to decide what accuracy you want then select your equipment to meet that need. As stated before, reloading components are hard to find at a decent price. Get the reloading manuals and read the sections on reloading.

For all you other readers, California has terrible restrictions on ammo sales/transfers and even giving ammo to someone. It takes up to four pieces of paper and a 'real' driver's license or a passport to buy a box of ammo. Reloading is the way to go, so far.

Hoping you and your spouse have a great time shooting....enjoy this site but beware of going down the rabbit hole re. reloading accuracy.