Basic starter kit for 7mm REM MAG specifically

CamaroMan

Hi everyone - wife and I picked up 2 hunting rifles last weekend - grew up shooting but its been 30 years.

We both got the last 7mm Rem Mag tikka t3x's at cabelas here nearby- beautiful pieces and incredible workmanship..

So Im curious about doing some home reloading and not quite sure what affordable units (100-200 range) would have the dies I need as well as be able to do the red tip ammo (forgot name), is it hornady edl-x? i read that it may need a special die or something to make-

I guess we will plan do do mid game hunting (deer etc) and move up as we gain experience..

Thanks!

Just a word of caution…. The reloading game may start with basic, but very quickly becomes a significant investment of time and $$$. It is a great way to get the best out of your rifles, but it can quickly add up to thousands of $$. It all depends on where your priorities are. I love the learning aspect of reloading and the pride in developing the cartridges I shoot. If you have the desire go for it. Get a reputable single stage kit from RCBS or similar supplier, buy the appropriate dies for what you will be reloading, and invest a few dollars in a couple of reloading manuals. Read, read, learn.
Good luck.

You will need a press, dies, shell holder, scale, priming tool, chamfer tool, loading block, powder funnel eventually you will need a case trimmer.
I don't think you can get everything for $200. I would recommend piecing together your own set up. I would also tell you to "buy once, cry once"

Not the best of times to start an adventure into handloading...just saying.

5w3k30.jpg

thanks - yes i will be going with Lee dies and a compatible loader - i am doing alot of reading on it. There are Lee die kits for 30-40, loaders 100-200, shell holder 15, dont the priming/chamfer tool comes in the die kits (just an extra step)? I dont care how long it takes we arent shooting off tons of ammo- but will be going to the range on occasion to prep for hunting season :) id say a reasonable initial investment 200-250 would be "ideal" - and go from there

I really also dont mind weighing grain on my scale and doing it by hand - i would find it very relaxing, not trying to speed anything up - quite the opposite. fwiw I live in LA if that makes sense!

If I had to do it again, I would do it piece by piece. Although when you first start that can be overwhelming. Components are a challenge right now. I spent more than your budget on powder this week. I am a casual reloader, but if you find components you better buy them when you find them.

agreed- i emailed Lee to recommend a die set, there are some loaders around for 60 and up so will go step by step, thats the plan. I dont care for bells and whistles.. but a primer/loader in one wd be nice.. ill just keep trying to figure out how it all works :) gotta get down to the shop now tho- laters fellas and thanks

agreed- i emailed Lee to recommend a die set, there are some loaders around for 60 and up so will go step by step, thats the plan. I dont care for bells and whistles.. but a primer/loader in one wd be nice.. ill just keep trying to figure out how it all works :) gotta get down to the shop now tho- laters fellas and thanks
lot's of presses have an option to add on press priming. I would just buy a separate tool. I ran a lee auto bench prime for a fair bit of time worked good. lots of people like hand primers so they can prime on their couch.

As said earlier...dont jump into it...search out someone close..or even in Nevada.....take a drive....
LEARN from someone....then find parts and pieces....

I bought my first mzldr and took a 3 hour drive..one way..to chat with a guy about the seriousness of black powder use..and pouring my own bullets....with extreme cautions to 'being around hot lead'..more than being burned.....and you are adventuring into 'high explosives'...
Not anything to be humble about....

Buy a reloading manual first. Hornady makes a good one which explains the reloading process. Read all you can about the subject first. You may have some assumptions that don't quite correspond with the truth.

Then buy piece by piece and buy the best you can afford. Quality will last and even better, be backed by the manufacturer should anything fail. Make a reloading mistake and you may we'll hurt yourself or worse, someone else.

Oh and now that you're back in the game keep asking questions on LRH. Plenty of knowledgeable folks to point you in the right direction.