Basic Rifle Maintenance - Part 1 By Vince Bottomley

ADMIN

Administrator
We mentioned the possibility of an article covering basic rifle maintenance in the April issue of Target Shooter and enough of you responded to make it a reality, so here goes.

We'll keep it simple and restrict it at this stage to the centrefire bolt-action rifle and we will start with the bolt itself.

The bolt is a key part of our rifle. Not only does it close the breech, sealing the pressure-chamber, it also extracts the fired case and provides ignition via the firing-pin striking the primer. It is this latter function that concerns us most when it comes to maintenance. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Basic Rifle Maintenance - Part 1, By Vince Bottomley. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

My Remington 40X action (22-250) has seen about 600 rounds run through it in 13 years and I have never cleaned the bolt, mainly because I never knew how, and besides, the action worked fine until now. I cleaned the barrel with a product called "Wipe-Out" according to instrutions. The material foamed into the chamber and I thought nothing of it. After replacing the bolt mechanism, I found it difficult to open the bolt; it appeared to be almost stuck in the rifle. I finally forced it open with my right hand, completely cleaned and dried the chamber with cotton rolls, oiled the bolt and put light grease on the lugs. It seemed to cure the problem. I still feel, however, that the bolt should operate more smoothly. Could the difficulty in opening be due to dirt, etc., in the bolt mechanism? I doubt that rust is present since the rifle has always been cased in an indoor closet. Also, how difficult is it to take the bolt apart for inspection when using the Sinclair tool? Also, while I am at it, should I count on replacing the spring with the one from Brownell's?

Last edited:
If you prefer to leave the bolt in the rifle, close it on an empty chamber and pull the trigger to un-cock it.

What I do with my Eddystone US Model of 1917 is hold the trigger as I close the bolt. I don't know if it would hurt the pin by dry-firing it, but I don't want to take that chance.

I was hoping to see a torque wrench, but alas....
I'd like to buy a good such wrench, and am looking at either the Weaver wrench or the Wheeler FAT. Does anybody have any experience with both? I'd like to know which one is better........?

I was hoping to see a torque wrench, but alas....
I'd like to buy a good such wrench, and am looking at either the Weaver wrench or the Wheeler FAT. Does anybody have any experience with both? I'd like to know which one is better........?

I have the Wheeler FAT and am perfectly satisfied. No more over torqued bolts and screws! No experience with the Weaver, sorry.

I clicked on the link for the "Target Shooter" website and my anti-virus popped up saying there was malware on the site.

Ohlsen

Good article. I would have liked to seen a little more detail on the bolt stripping, even when using the specified tool. I also was impressed by the willingness to use "WD-40" in an area where it is appropriate. Too many go to the extreme: Never put WD-40 on a rifle. For this reason alone I would be willing to trust the advice. I'll bet there are a lot of people who have never disassembled any bolt. Looking forward to the remainder of the articles planned.

I still get the same thing when I try to connect to Target Shooter. My anti-virus "Bittdefender" gives me a white page telling me that the sight contains malware and it will not let me go there.

Ohlsen

Ohlsen, I have not found any evidence of a virus on the site. You might try telling your anti-virus it is okay. Has anyone else had a problem with a virus on this site?

Always good to re-read some of the articles, I've been cleaning my bolt regularly and surprised at how much can accumulate inside.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts