Base Question

tiswell

I am a noob regarding the mechanics of "long range projectile placement". Preparation for a hunt has me upgrading my optics and mount system from my current Sprawlmart grade system. When considering a scope with a spec that states "50 min of total elevation". Can one expect to be able to mount it with a 20 MOA base and get it zeroed @100 yds. I actually plan to zero this combination at either 200 or 250 yds, I just wanted to get some feedback. If I understand things correctly it should make it with 5 min to spare, if things mount up theoretically perfect.

thanks, Tiswell

Theoretically yes., But the chances of you not being able to are pretty good. it doesnt take much for your receiver to not be square with the barrel and eat up 5 moa, not to mention that is pushing the limits of the adjustment range of your scope. Can I ask what rifle and scope you are using? 50 MOA is not very much.

Tikkamike,
Thanks for reply. The scope that I am planning on purchasing is the Minox ZA5 3-15x50mm. The rifle is a stevens 200 in 7mm-08. This is the rifle that I have for whitetail hunting here in the East. I am going on an elk hunt this fall and plan to use it. I know it is considered to be a bit underpowered for elk. I plan to develop a load with the 168 berger VLD's. With these leaving the muzzle @ 2600-2700 it looks like 1500 ftlbs is still in the tank out to 500 yds.

Thanks, Tiswell

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.