Base fitting properly?

Alucard

Hey guys.

Well, after 3 months of waiting, I finanly recieved my brand new Remington XR-100 rangemaster in .223 Rem. Man, what a nice looking rig!! I was as giddy as a school girl waiting to get out and shoot it. I headed straight down to the local gun shop to get some bases - I have rings already. I was told that the XR-100 has the same dimensions as a model 7. I purchased a Weaver 1 piece mount. I take it home, and ITS THE WRONG ONE!! It was for the older style model 7 with only the 3 hole receiver - the XR-100 is the new style with 4 holes.

Now, my question is, will the base still work? When I put it on, only the very outside edges of the base were contacting the receiver, there was a large gap through the middle of the base where it wasn't contacting the reciever. Is that enough contact to make the base still usuable? Or am I needing to get a whole new base? Any help would be appreciated, since I want to get out and shoot the **** thing already!! Thanks.

Sounds like that one would work well for glass bedding it to the action. Rough up the bottom of the bases and put release agent on the action and screws. Epoxy will stick to the bases but not the action, and give you a truly custom fit. Just an idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.