Base and rings

G

I have a Savage 110 tactical long action and having trouble finding a good one pc. ring and tapered base comb. after a brief search it appears Badger Ring & Base combo's are what recommanded. I've looked A.R.M.S but this mount are heavy and I also plan on using this same gun for hunting. the other question is the scope I have is a leupold 4.5-14 50 mil dot, the scope has a max ring mount of 5.5" and some ring manufactor are recommanding extended rings? I new to long range and this is my first rifle and don't have a clue what I need. So, what the story. I what enough MOA and a solid mount I can trust.
confused.gif

If money is a factor, I would choose the Ken Farrel tapered base, ring spacing should'nt be a problem.
If money is not a issue, I would buy the Badger, I own 2 with standard height rings and 50mm scopes in each set.
Any Weaver style ring will fit these bases.
NF has tapered bases as well, 2 peice if that floats your boat.
Leupold mk4 bases are not tappered

The two mount you have are they long action? Kevin at US Tactical said Badger carries a short action for the savage but was unaware of a long action mount. If you have a part# for the tappered badger base I could sure use it. AT this point the more I look money isn't the question, but finding something that is reliable. Also do you have a link for Ken Farrel or Farrell, I came up empty on the search. Thanks for the reply.

[ 09-10-2003: Message edited by: James Sawyer ]

James, sorry ,I should have mentioned the base's that I have are for the 700 short action.
If I were buying a base for a Savage long range outfit, I would probably get the Farrel 20 moa base, Rings would be another decision, there are quite a few that will work.

I contacted Kenneth @ Farrell, I sure hope they make a 4 screw mount for this Savage. I assuming the bases are a weaver style mounts, hard to tell from they're WEB page. What you're recommendation on rings, and do you know if any weaver style mounts will work on other manufactory bases? Badger seems to be the recommended rings or Leupold MK4. I was starting to think I'd have to go with the Burris 2 piece dovetail mounts and the Signature ***-Align rings. The Dovetail style is not the way I want to go if I can help it. Burris doesn't make a Zee Ring mount for the Savage either, I can't believe what a pain this has been on getting a reliable mount on this action. Also I contact Savage regarding the problems I'm running into and they are recommending Leatherwood, anyone have any input on this?
confused.gif

Ken Farrel's mount will work fine if you can get a long one for your Savage. You should follow his instructions and bed them tho.

Another possibility is www.nearmfg.com for Savage, but you would have to contact him to check out lengths. Near rails are wonderful things, but costy.

Any Weaver style ring will fit Picatinny or rail mounts. The true Picatinny rail such as the Badger or Near have very precisely positioned cross-slots, the Farrel is very similar but the cross-slots are not Picatinny spec, they are 1/2" apart, I believe. Picatinny Spec is important for tactical use so that you can mount multiple sighting instruments or gadgets on a rifle, no biggie for hunters.

As far as rails (bases) go the Badger and Near and a couple of other high-end brands are simply the best there is. The Farrel is beautifully machined and finished and will do an excellent job and it is much less $. The MK4 is also nice but probably not available for your rifle unless you use a two-piece. Nothing wrong with two-piece mounts except they are not cool.

RINGS - Badgers are simply the best. If you don't want Badgers for some reason (not sure what such a reason could be except for $) there are other tacticals that are fine, including the re-styled MK4's from Leupold. Farrel makes some nice ones, so does Nightforce, HS and others. Be aware that these big rings should be lapped for best fit and performance.

Cheaper alternates include the Warne Maxima (very good rings) and the Burris Weaver-styles with the plastic inserts.

Ken Farrel's mount will work fine if you can get a long one for your Savage. You should follow his instructions and bed them tho.

Another possibility is www.nearmfg.com for Savage, but you would have to contact him to check out lengths. Near rails are wonderful things, but costy.

Any Weaver style ring will fit Picatinny or rail mounts. The true Picatinny rail such as the Badger or Near have very precisely positioned cross-slots, the Farrel is very similar but the cross-slots are not Picatinny spec, they are 1/2" apart, I believe. Picatinny Spec is important for tactical use so that you can mount multiple sighting instruments or gadgets on a rifle, no biggie for hunters.

As far as rails (bases) go the Badger and Near and a couple of other high-end brands are simply the best there is. The Farrel is beautifully machined and finished and will do an excellent job and it is much less $. The MK4 is also nice but probably not available for your rifle unless you use a two-piece. Nothing wrong with two-piece mounts except they are not cool.

RINGS - Badgers are simply the best. If you don't want Badgers for some reason (not sure what such a reason could be except for $) there are other tacticals that are fine, including the re-styled MK4's from Leupold. Farrel makes some nice ones, so does Nightforce, HS and others. Be aware that these big rings should be lapped for best fit and performance.

Cheaper alternates include the Warne Maxima (very good rings) and the Burris Weaver-styles with the plastic inserts.

James,
The term "rail" is usually used by the tactical folk, but it is just another term for a one-piece base (some rails or bases have a bunch of specially spaced and sized cross-slots that are machined to specs set out by the military - as in Picatinny Spec., some just have slots appropriately placed for holding rings).

Essentially we are talking about a large piece of aluminum or steel that has a dovetail machined into the top surface so that rings can clamp to it plus there are slots for the recoil bars in the bottom of the ring to fit into.

Since most rings have some lattitude in how much the clamps open, we can almost always place Weaver-style scope rings onto a dovetail base. Tactical rings like Badgers are best attached to the base by torqueing a 1/2" nut that locks the clamp or sideplate. The correct torque value is 65 inch/pounds. Naturally this takes a special torque wrench - which is another 65-75 bucks. Most popular torque wrench for this job is a"T" shaped "snap wrench" from Seekonk.

Bottom line here - if you wish to spend about 60 bucks get the Farrell, if Nears are available for long Savage actions you will have to be prepared to spend quite a bit more. Besides the benefit of the slope (20moa usually) many guys get rails (one-piece bases) because they look good.

If you wish to go heavy-duty get Badger rings, if you don't want to spend that much money get Warne Maximas or Burris "Zee" rings or similar. Most hunters don't worry much about swapping scopes on a rifle but that is one neat thing you can do with these bases and rings.

I just want a mount that will do the job, I like saving money but I don't want to do something dumb and have to go out buy something else because I went cheap. I wish this gun looked better but looks were not on my list when I bought it. I thought it was the best out of the box gun I could get. I wanted a starting gun that shot decent. So at this point I think the best choice I have is Farrell one peice tapered mount and Burris Zee rings. Thanks for all the help.

James skip the crappy Zee rings!!!! Go with the Warne rings they are really really nice.
If you set up everything right you will be able to take the scope off and put it back on with very good accuracy!!! I use a Farrel base and Warne rings and am very happy. I also use a picatinney setup on my Colt and switch back and forth between day and night sight with good results!!!

I have used both the Lightforce cross slot bases from SinclairIntl and the Leupold QRW cross slot bases on 22-250, 25-06, 7mm SAUM and, 7 mm RUM with no complaints. All scopes are mounted with the Leupold PRW cross slot rings. The Leupold web site has a base/ring selector tool if you are interested.

For Savage 110-116:
www.dnrsports.com

LEUPOLD 1 PIECE BASE (check to see if SA or LA)
QR 110 MATTE
Code: LEU50066
Price: $42.56

or

LEUPOLD 2 PIECE BASE
QRW 110 GLOSS
Code: LEU49833
Price: $24.80

or

From www.sinclairintl.com
Part no: 06-185
Lightforce tapered bases - Sav long (2 pieces)
Your Price: $ 76.50

Leupold Weaver Style Rings:

PRW HIGH 1" RINGS MATTE
Code: LEU54150
Price: $33.76

PRW HIGH 30MM RINGS MATTE
Code: LEU54177
Price: $40.76

Not quite as heavy duty as some of the other options, but have worked great for me so far.

Doug

I contacted Marty@badger and they don't make a long action mount. Leupold doesn't have a one pc or 2 pc base in the MK4, the only base they carry is the QR setup. Then again Leupold doesn't make a tapered base. So far the only lead I have on a one peice tapered base is Farrell or Leatherwood, and I waiting to hear back from them.

Well Farrell has a long action base for the Savage 110 long action the part # is SAV-RTL-1-20 (long action). So, correct me if I misunderstood, The Farrell mount will work with any other Weaver style ring, Picatinny or rail mounts but if optical changes are required the gun will need resighted. So, as long as the scope is not removed I will have a reliable system? Thanks for the lead on Near they show mounts availible for Savage, so waiting to hear from them now. I starting to feel a little better about this now.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts