Base and rings for LR varmint rig

Takman

Building a 6mm BR on Mcmillan HTG with Douglas silhouette taper barrel and looking for guidance for base and rings. Looking to possibly put a Leupy 6.5x20 40mm on it. Will use outfit for groundhogs and plinking of the sort. Suggestions?

What distance you plan on shooting?

Luep's come in different configurations with different amounts of elevation adjustments. If your receiver top is level then that is one thing, if it is like my old mauser and is sloped about 5 MOA the wrong way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif that is another thing.

If you want or need MOA you can do that with either the base or the rings.

The Luep Target has 44 inches of adjustment and the Longrange has 72. It will take about 25-30 inches of adjustment to move from 100 yds to 1000 yds. With the target model you will in all likelihood need to be able to adjust the scope using either shims under the base or something on the order of Burris signature rings which come with enough inserts to get you lined up and zeroed at 100yds at about 7 MOA from the bottom of the adjustment. If you know the top of the receiver is true or if you get the Long range scope then you are way ahead of the game.

For a cheaper tactical canted base you might wanna look at the Warne Tactical Bases. they are rail style with a 20moa cant and they are decently cheaper than some of the others, i think. I like the leup PRW style rings for strength and cost. Seekins stuff is **** nice looking, BJ has a set of the rings and they look very strong.

steve

20MOA Near Manufactoring is the only base I put on all my guns. Best bases Ive ever seen. Their rings are top notch too, I also use Leupold Mark4 rings

Burris Sig rings w/inserts. All you will need within the useable distance of a 6BR and scope.

No more rings marks too.

First thing, shoot the rifle. If you have 30min of elevation left, you can go at least 800yds, most likely 1000yds. How far do you want to go?

Shim a scope AFTER you find out you need it and how much you need. That is why the Burris rings are so good. You can adjust to whatever your rifle/scope/load needs.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.