Bartlein Press Release - New Barrel Material

Euler

From Bartlein:

"Bartlein Barrels is pleased to announce the release of a new barrel material. Working with the mill and testing different types of material and tweaking the material over the last few years and with testing having been performed by ammunition makers we now have a different grade of material that we have had made and is proprietary to us.

The material has been proven in lab testing and in outside real world testing to provide a barrel life that is 1.5 to 2 times longer than the standard 416 grade of material.

We are calling the material 400MODBB. Pricing for this barrel material in standard diameters/contours etc...will be $555.
As always there are a list of things that effect barrel life and we cannot guarantee everything a 100% but for an example as I know it will be asked....in 6.5CM ammunition pressure test barrels are normally pulled from service at around 1700 rounds. The new material doing the same type of ammunition test work the barrel was pulled from service after it had 3500 rounds on it. We've had several 6mm's in calibers that the barrel normally is pulled around 1500 rounds go 3000 rounds.

We and or the customers that have done the threading and chamber work have had no issues with machining. I will say your reamers will not last as long but nothing that would really concern me. It does machine a little different but it's not horrible to work with.
So you will have a choice of the standard 416 material from us and the 400MODBB material.

Any questions it would be a lot easier if you emailed us at [email protected] or called in directly at 262-677-1717 but I can only imagine the amount of questions we will be getting and with everything going on in the world currently I'll ask you to be patient for the replies.
"

Like everyone else, my bartleins are hammers. I think I'll be trying out this new material when I need a rebarrel.

I use Bartlein barrels almost exclusively for LR competition barrels and go through 2-3 per year. I think this new steel will certainly be a cost saver for those who run enough rounds to burn out a barrel in a year or two (or less). I think competition shooters and high volume varmint shooters will be the main civilian benefactors. I usually pay $375-415 for my blanks (special pricing at national events can be as low as $300 pre-order...thank you Bartlein) so if I can get twice the round count at a bit less than twice the price it is a money saver.

I think I would pay double the price for double the life......I might even pay closer to 3x the price. When you figure-in the down time + the gunsmith fees to chamber + time/money/effort for break-in and/or load development, it's easily worth it in my mind.

If there is no accuracy detriment they will do well with these I think. If there is a slight accuracy detriment I still think they will do very well with "practical precision" disciplines.

I understand why they did the comparison barrel in 6.5CM being as popular as it is, its something most will be able to relate to. However I'd be curious if they see similar life improvements in the known barrel burners like 28 Nosler, 6.5x284, and the like.

I just ordered one with the new material in a carbon wrap #4 20" 1-7.5t for my 6.5 PRC
Seekins Element to be ran Suppressed.
I'm Stoked !!!
Did you order direct from Bartlein? Only option at this point I suspect. You just have to call in to find out availability etc? What did they quote you on lead time? Thanks!

What would corrosion resistance be as compared to stainless ? Is it 2X more corrosion resistant than CM ? For those of us who hunt in cold wet environments.

I understand why they did the comparison barrel in 6.5CM being as popular as it is, its something most will be able to relate to. However I'd be curious if they see similar life improvements in the known barrel burners like 28 Nosler, 6.5x284, and the like.
Frank Green has been posting over on SnipersHide and has made statements that additional life is across the board.

What would corrosion resistance be as compared to stainless ? Is it 2X more corrosion resistant than CM ? For those of us who hunt in cold wet environments.
Same thing, I think Frank said it's the same (or similar) corrosion resistance. It's still a 400 grade stainless, just different chemical makeup than a 416.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.