Bartlein carbon fiber wrapped

Hmmm I wonder what kind of stress relieving they do after the boring/rifling process? As far as I know all barrels are stress relieves after boring or rifling, either by hammering, cryo, or heating. You'd think that heat(1100°) or hammer would damage the wrap. Maybe -300° cryo would suffice. I could be totally off base, but stress relieving is a MUST occur part of process after contouring before lapping.

Bettin/Saturn does their machining/wrapping/contouring before rifling as well.

I would think that Bartlein would have the stress relief in the material or process.
Where it happens may differ for cut rifle vs button.

Think I'll order one for a 6.5 in a 20" #4 contour to try.

Last edited:
So, I am going to take the "Pepsi" challenge on this....
I ordered a 6.5 from GA, and will chamber it up shortly in 6.5 PRC.
I'll do a switch barrel set-up on a Defiance, other barrel will be a Proof.
So I guess we'll see!!
I really tend to hold George's opinion's in the highest regard- so the Facebook video has prompted me to "pull the trigger"....

Hmmm I wonder what kind of stress relieving they do after the boring/rifling process? As far as I know all barrels are stress relieves after boring or rifling, either by hammering, cryo, or heating. You'd think that heat(1100°) or hammer would damage the wrap. Maybe -300° cryo would suffice. I could be totally off base, but stress relieving is a MUST occur part of process after contouring before lapping.
I work for Bartlein and all of our material is stress relieved from the mill. We do not induce any stress into our steel the way we cut rifle so there is no need to stress relieve after rifling like is common with the button rifling process.

Had anyone seen or otherwise know how the carbon/epoxy layup Bartlein is using transfers heat? There are two things that have held me back from trying a carbon barrel. One is the type/quality of the bore and options on twist, etc. That is now not an issue. The second is how it handles heat. I'd like to try one on my 300 PRC. This puts the weight where I would want it but bull sporter stiffness.

Bartlein barrels have broken a lot of Benchrest records and won a lot of big matches. Benchrest is the only game than measure groups sizes, if you want to know whos making really good barrels, actions, stocks, triggers, ext, thats where you look. I for one am glad to have this option. Im not worried if they are a little heavier. CF barrels arent about saving weight anyhow. They weigh about the same as a equally stiff steel barrel.

Bartlein barrels have broken a lot of Benchrest records and won a lot of big matches. Benchrest is the only game than measure groups sizes, if you want to know whos making really good barrels, actions, stocks, triggers, ext, thats where you look. I for one am glad to have this option. Im not worried if they are a little heavier. CF barrels arent about saving weight anyhow. They weigh about the same as a equally stiff steel barrel.
The only place I think they save weight anymore is if you need a lighter longer barrel and need a shoulder big enough for a 5/8 suppressor. I guess if you need a 26" barrel with a .725 shoulder and need it to be under the weight of a #6 steel the carbon would save you a pound.

At this point other than looking cool I'm not sure why I would own another. Open to it but don't see the niche much anymore. I'd imagine if these do really wick heat like Bartlein is claiming it going to suck to shoot more than a few rounds from a big cartridge due to mirage.

where do you see them being the most valuable? I'm sure I'm looking through the bias of what I personally want to build in the future and not all the options

Im not worried if they are a little heavier. CF barrels arent about saving weight anyhow. They weigh about the same as a equally stiff steel barrel.

Why would anyone go through the expense of CF if there wasn't a weight savings?
These barrels are for a niche market where guys want a larger shoulder, and barrel stiffness to hang a suppressor etc. Off the end without the weight of a comparably sized steel barrel
I recently ordered a CF barrel after getting the weight comparison on a #6 fluted, the CF barrel is approx 1.3 lbs lighter which will make up for the added weight of my suppressor.

Why would anyone go through the expense of CF if there wasn't a weight savings?
These barrels are for a niche market where guys want a larger shoulder, and barrel stiffness to hang a suppressor etc. Off the end without the weight of a comparably sized steel barrel
I recently ordered a CF barrel after getting the weight comparison on a #6 fluted, the CF barrel is approx 1.3 lbs lighter which will make up for the added weight of my suppressor.
Im just glad to see another option in this market.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts