Bartlein barrel contours

I've got 2b (23"), 3 (25") and 6 ( 25" Varmit). I like both the 2b and 3 for hunting. The 6 is too heavy for me to want to take hunting any more. I don't notice any appreciable change in accuracy between the 2b and 3 contour rifles I own but then they aren't as long as you're looking at either. One thing to consider when picking your contour, is what muzzle device options will be for whatever you pick. Even the 3 contour will potential cross a few options off.

Thanks for the input.

I dont plan on having the muzzle threaded.
I'm trying to find a good balance between reasonable carry weight and shootabilty at longer range.

I'm now considering a 2b at 24".

Last edited:
Yeah I've looked at the barrel contour page from bartlein several times, I was just hoping maybe someone would have a picture of one with a contour I am familiar with as a comparison.

emty,
give me a day and I can post pictures and weights of the 3 vs 3b.
ive got both in manners EH-2 stock, the #3 is a 20" 6.5 creed and the #3b is a 22" 22 creed. Both set up identical except for barrel contour and length.

I am running a 24" #3 fluted With a brake on a Rem 700 LA BDL. With a McMillan Edge Fill and VX3I 4.5-14, I am right at 8.5 lbs unloaded.

Last edited:
I believe the 3b is very similar to most others #5. I think the 3b would be a good hunting contour and long range contour specially if you flute it.

I ordered a #3 contour bartlein from bughole barrels this morning. I'm getting it with 6 straight flutes.

I'm going to Montana to hunt mulies and antelope for 10 days starting on Halloween. I talked to my gunsmith and he said he would get it done for me within 3 weeks of receiving the barrel. That won't leave much time for load development!

We just finished re barreling on my son's 700 used bartlein #3 at 23" with a brake it's balanced out pretty good. We had a 3B on the cousin's he thought it was a touch heavy I liked it. He sold it and bought a ridge line

My rifle is all finished and ready to head to Montana!

The fluted #3 at 24" ended up being perfect. The rifle balances great and comes in at 8lbs 13oz with my 3-15x44 vxhd mounted.

I was able to work up a good load with RL26 and berger 175gr elite hunters very quickly.

20201024_115216.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.