Bartlein 5R.

25 Otter

Hey all. I'm thinking of ordering a Bartlein barrel that is offered with the 5R rifling. Any down side to the 5R? To finish at 25 or 26" in 30/06 to launch 168 to 180gr bullets. Thanks!

I have researched the $#^+ out of the 5R style rifling in my quest for what barrel to get. There are no downsides to 5R rifling. But not much upside either. It is supposed to be easier to clean the copper out of the corner of the lands and there is a theoretical advantage to better gas seal. But nothing concretely proven. But hey, every little bit helps.

Hey all. I'm thinking of ordering a Bartlein barrel that is offered with the 5R rifling. Any down side to the 5R? To finish at 25 or 26" in 30/06 to launch 168 to 180gr bullets. Thanks!
Is there a downside to 5R rifling? Absolutely NONE that I'm aware of. I'm a huge fan of it. :D

I have 2 brand new 5R´s a .338 and a 6.5 and they both shoot great and are very easy to clean. Almost no copper fouling. I have fired 50 shots out of each one and then cleaned them and I couldn´t see very much blue/green stains on my patches.

I have researched the $#^+ out of the 5R style rifling in my quest for what barrel to get. There are no downsides to 5R rifling. But not much upside either. It is supposed to be easier to clean the copper out of the corner of the lands and there is a theoretical advantage to better gas seal. But nothing concretely proven. But hey, every little bit helps.
5R rifling also has offset lands and grooves, therefore it does NOT create a pinch-point in the bullet's jacket like even-numbered rifling does.

5R rifling is actually easier to clean up, from my experiences. It also seems to shoot cleaner, and go much longer between needing to be cleaned, before it starts copper fouling, and throwing shots.

I have one for my 338-378 (from Bartlein also) and it's doing just fine. I'm currently coating bullets and barrel, so copper fouling is sort of moot.

Good to hear. I was more concerned about possible down sides to the 5R. I can appreciate the advantages be it actual or theoretical. Most of the search results I got from the net,were from the early days of 5R,and opinions were split. A lot of comparisons to 4 groove Kriegers and the like. I figure it will be fine for a hunting rig. Lots of folks comparing performance in match rifles. I figured with the number of barrel makers offering it,it must be working out well.

I've heard that the reamer can chatter when chambering a 5R barrel. I haven't found that to be true in the couple that I've done. I wouldn't hesitate to put any bartlein barrel on my guns. This group was shot with my f-class rifle at 500 yards while getting by drops for a regional competition. Its a bartlein 5r barrel.

IMG_20130317_190025_zpsd82d49da.jpg
http://www.longrangehunting.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I only have a few custom barrels, so I'm no expert by any means. One of them being a Bartlett 5R in 6.5. It is more accurate and fouls less than my others. I'm pretty confident in saying that the rest of my barrels from here on out will be Bartlein 5R's.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.