Barska scopes

john powers

Has anyone used these so called long range scopes I shoot nightforce and a friend just paid 200.00 for a Barska to save money any coments would be appreciated,,,,,John

Has anyone used these so called long range scopes I shoot nightforce and a friend just paid 200.00 for a Barska to save money any coments would be appreciated,,,,,John
jp,
comparing a Nightforce to a Barska is like comparing Maria Sharapova to Rosie O'Donnell. Nightforce and Barska are both scope's like Maria and Rosie are both women but a quick glance will confirm they are at opposite ends of the spectrum in quality.
anyone could look at a Nightforce or Maria and be pleased, but to truly be pleased looking at Barska or Rosie would take some serious rationalization or very thick beer goggle's IMHO
UB

Barska is like most brands, they make some good stuff and a lot of junk! I found their Tactical line to be pretty good but their Swat Tactical sucks. Their life time warranty sucks also, you have to send them $25 to replace a defective scope. Their Tactical at $250 or so with side focus, mildot reticle on first focal plane are nice features for the money and preform well.

jp,
comparing a Nightforce to a Barska is like comparing Maria Sharapova to Rosie O'Donnell. Nightforce and Barska are both scope's like Maria and Rosie are both women but a quick glance will confirm they are at opposite ends of the spectrum in quality.
anyone could look at a Nightforce or Maria and be pleased, but to truly be pleased looking at Barska or Rosie would take some serious rationalization or very thick beer goggle's IMHO
UB
Nice work on your comparison I love it ,,,I shoot a nxs and love it so for but my nabor just wanted to save money ,,,,He will laugh his hesd off,,,John

UB, i understand your comparison but to assume that Rosie is a woman might be a bit of a stretch. here in Pennsyltucky we haven't conceded that is a fact!

I can`t see why anyone would want to relay on a cheap scope for long range shooying. It kinda like putting a VW in the Indy 500.

I can`t see why anyone would want to relay on a cheap scope for long range shooting. It kinda like putting a VW in the Indy 500.

The problem is not the scope, is what we can afford! I use a Weaver Grand Slam, not much of a long range scope but the super low profile turret is calibrated in MOA and its accuracy in clicking up and down can be compared the the best of the best. :) About a year and 1/2 ago or so, my 14 years old son, then, was shooting at rocks at close the 1400 yards and eventually hit one out of 5 shots... Not bad!

If the scope holds zero and he can learn to use the mil dots as hold over then I don't see what the problem is. As far as the cheap optics are concerned, if somebody doesn't know what he is missing is he really missing anything? Just don't let him compare it to your NF. But then again, if you are a good neighbor you already have. I mean what are friends for? One of my favorite scopes is a $120 Bushnell 6-18 banner I've had for years. I have beat the crap out of this thing and it has never let me down. The image at 18x isn't so great but at 16x and below it is very good. I have a 650yd gong behind the house in a pasture. With my 7mag and this scope I can move anywhere from the house to target and hit it all day every day. I don't feel the least bit "under scoped". To each his own. I wouldn't personally trust the turrets on a Barska or take it on the hunt of a lifetime. But for the average Joe the cheap optics will do. If not then they wouldn't sell so many of them and the scope companies would only build better scopes. With all that being said I am wanting to buy an IOR Tactical for the 338 Edge Kirby built. I will be home in about 5 more months and think "THOR" deserves better then the SS sitting on him.
God Bless America!

Has anyone tried or played with the Barska "Benchmark" series scopes? They claim these are different from the K-mart specials that make up much of the Barska brand... it's also tough to find ANY FFP mil-dots...

Is the Barska Benchmark anywhere near the Schmidt & Bender PH/PM types or the mythical Meopta FFP mil-dot?

jp,
UB
Uhhhhh yeah, that about says it. Well put.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.