Barrett Fieldcraft accuracy

FinalFinish bullets by David Tubb are your friend when you have a rifle that fouls quickly.
or
Quit trying to shoot the ELD-X bullets. For whatever reason, they copper foul BADLY in some rifles. (And the ELD-M do not...so there is a difference in the jacket material between the two.)

Good luck.

I think you should try calling the company before insulting the forum members

I just re-read the entire thread and I stand by my assessment. Reading comprehension might be the issue. My response was typed on my cell phone from my hotel room in Banff. I didn't have the luxury of a keyboard and making a long drawn out post like this one that follows.
Not insulting anyone intentionally. Not bad mouthing Barrett either. My intentions were to see what kind of results and accuracy are typical of these rifles and if anyone had direct experience. I have tried 4 different bullets. I have cleaned before switch and not-cleaned before switching. This is NOT a problem with the ELD-X. I have used them extensively in my 6.5-284 and the exact same FACTORY ammo in my hunting buddy's Tikka T3. They are fine. It doesn't matter WHICH bullet I shoot with the same results are seen.

My buddy forwarded all the test targets etc. to the dealer who is sharing them with Barrett. I have not heard if they have a comment or not yet.

I have owned only ONE 6.5 Creedmoor- a Tikka T3 light. I shot a couple of boxes through it and saw that it was exceptionally accurate and gave it to my son as a graduation present from law school. I wanted to test FACTORY ammo because that is one of the intrinsic beauties of the Creedmoor- excellent factory ammo available. On top of that, neither my son nor the guy with the Fieldcraft reload.

I hope nobody is upset over this thread because I genuinely am only interested in anecdotal evidence of Fieldcraft accuracy. They are expensive rifles and one has a right to expect better than average results I would think.

Totally clear now. Took us a while to get there. Seems like the only thing to do is wait to see what Barrett will (or will not) do about your gun and the chronic fouling issue.

What if Barrett says, "Gun is fine. Just clean it. Have a nice day."
Will you?
1) Keep it or
2) Sell it

This has to be frustrating. You HAD a great shooting Tikka T3. Now you have a Barrett that is only "good shooting" and then, only for about 6 rounds then it goes south (with ANY bullet...got it now ;))

If Barrett asks for the rifle back, then you are getting a 'do-over' and will only know what you have once you get the gun back.

If you are emotionally attached to this Barrett, and they do nothing, I stand by my recommendation to try the FinalFinish bullets to smooth your bore and reduce the fouling. Then you might consider Boron Nitride (TBN) coating your bullets.

If it were me, and I got no satisfaction from Barrett, I think I'd sell the gun, buy another Tikka T3 and move on with life.

I suspect that Barrett will make it right if something is really wrong with this rifle. If it is up to their specs then it will go down the road and a Tikka T3 lite will replace it. I've only owned two Tikkas- the first one was a stainless laminate in .308. It was about an "inch" gun with most everything including Federal Gold medal match 168 grain SMK ammo- the proverbial gold standard for 308 ammo. It would shoot 200 grain Partitions into 3/8" pretty regularly. I took it to Alaska when I took a job there in 2017. I fired it two times- killing a rogue bear that was tearing up the hangar. I used 150 grain Corelokts because I didn't want a pass-through that might hit something else. First shot was at 5 feet, second was at 20 feet. No need for accuracy there. Dealer traded me the Creedmoor for it - I didn't even want to switch it out but they were adamant that it should shoot better with normal ammo. The Creedmoor certainly did.
I would have gotten another stainless laminate but they didn't have any.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts