Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor load question

Buzzsaw

I have the 21" barreled version. My load is 42.2 H-4350, I'm shooting the 140 Berger Elite Hunter @ 2595fps. Very accurate at 100yrds, haven't stretched it out yet.

My question, should I go for more velocity? Is 2595fps enough for deer sized game to 500yards? I shoot 42.4gr in my 26" barreled F-Class gun and get 2710fps.

Also the one deer I shot, broadside hit no ribs and was a complete pass through with no signs of expansion??? Are these bullets designed for a high shoulder shot (to hit bone) to expand??? The deer laid down and after 30 minutes, I jumped him, shot him again 2 -3 inches from original shot. Looked like the impact of the second shot blew out a "clot" from the first shot. What happened guys?

should I go to the Ballistic Tip for my Texas whitetails??

I love the accuracy I get from Berger but after some load development and a few hunting trips I'm sold on the Accubonds. Used 180 grain on elk and 130 grain on whitetail with much luck and great performance.

Buzz
That sounds like slow velocity for a creed and 42 grains of H4350, close to a published book max. You might want to check against another chronograph. Typically there is about 25 fps per inch of barrel gain or loss.

Did you check to see that the HP on the bullets were open for hunting? If they are the bullet can act like a fmj.

Thanks Doc Doc, I will shoot them over a buddy's Oheler, my Pro Chrono may be too old. They are open tip like a match bullet

I know they are open tip, but some tips can become closed in swagging the tip. Thus, checking with a small drill bit to see that the tip is open all the way for proper expansion in hunting.

I know they are open tip, but some tips can become closed in swagging the tip. Thus, checking with a small drill bit to see that the tip is open all the way for proper expansion in hunting.

on all my berger hunting bullets i trim the meplate slightly. make sure that tip is open. Even at that velocity at shorter ranges the bullet should perform.

need to look a a baistics table to see what your realistic hunting range is

ballistic tips have dropped many a whitetail

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts