Barrels

I mentioned Douglas barrels here and was told here they are crap. I can't see how a company can survive for as long as they have and make a good product. I know a lot of people only think what they have is the best thing since sliced bread. Them some have the trend of the day, ie 6.5 creed. I am starting a build and will use them for that. I am more than sure it will out perform me...which isn't hard to do....

Well i have used hart barrels before and others but i like the douglas barrels just as much as hart which is the best out there by alot of long range shooters. I put douglas right there with hart. And i have built around 300 rifles over the years.So i know alittle bit about what works.Im from virginia so i grew up with douglas and i have got a few bad ones over the years. But they have allways have righted it up.Just my opine.

Well i have used hart barrels before and others but i like the douglas barrels just as much as hart which is the best out there by alot of long range shooters. I put douglas right there with hart. And i have built around 300 rifles over the years.So i know alittle bit about what works.Im from virginia so i grew up with douglas and i have got a few bad ones over the years. But they have allways have righted it up.Just my opine.
I have had installed six top-tier barrels in the last three years. All of them on new custom actions with Manner's or McMillan stocks. I used very good smith's. I was trying to save money, sent a Mod. 7 to Douglas to have them put a .22 cal 7 twist barrel on. I got worried after sending in, and called them up asking the to Blue Print the action. The lady I spoke with told me they would not put a barrel on a action that wasn not square and they check all actions. I spent less than half the money. I could not be happier with how it shoots.
Lowell

I have had installed six top-tier barrels in the last three years. All of them on new custom actions with Manner's or McMillan stocks. I used very good smith's. I was trying to save money, sent a Mod. 7 to Douglas to have them put a .22 cal 7 twist barrel on. I got worried after sending in, and called them up asking the to Blue Print the action. The lady I spoke with told me they would not put a barrel on a action that wasn not square and they check all actions. I spent less than half the money. I could not be happier with how it shoots.
Lowell
I thought I saw on their website to true the action and install a barrel was $500.00. I think that is very reasonable.

Lowell
yes the do inspect every action that they put a barrel on.that is some thing that a good home town company will do.they have been around for many years they built rifles for every branch of the armed forces.thats how i found them when i was 13 years old.

maybe you could take the time and show us a modern win at a big name be match ? I cannot recall seeing one on an equipment list in recent years. 600/1000 br ??
I did not say they do not make good bbls, I said I have not seen them win br matches at the top level.
In Benchrest I have seen them win.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.