Barrels 2020

Jud96

I have been thinking about this for awhile and I want to make a thread discussing barrels and their quality as of now. Barrels like all things go up and down and change over the years. I know of a few barrel manufactures who have stepped their game up in the last couple years and seem to be producing better results. I currently am running Bartlein barrels and have no complaints about them. I however am very curious and I always like to experiment and learn more.

Having said that, if any of you could just give me a brief review or opinion on recent barrels you have used/installed/inspected I would really appreciate it. This is not a bashing thread, but I want it to be sort of a guide and understanding of where barrels stand as of 2020. I'll start off and say from my experiences , I see mainly Bartlein, Brux, Krieger, and Proof barrels. Those all seem to do well, but how about all the other guys?

Shilen - Seems like they just don't care anymore. Multiple returns to get it right. When the thing finally is what was ordered it usually works just fine.

Lilja - >10 years ago was THE barrel to have. Back then I would never use anyone else. Nowadays, I just don't use them at all but I suspect they're still excellent.

Columbia River Arms/Black Hole Weaponry - Extremely consistent, always easy to load for, always what I ordered, pricing is hard to match. I use these almost exclusively now. The polygonal rifling has given me up to 50% longer throat life and MUCH easier cleaning. Best high volume shooting barrels I've had.

Hart - Just a great barrel every time but I only use them for Metallic Silhouette barrels.

Preferred Barrels formerly MGM
Total garbage, same goes for Oregon Mountain Rifles.
My smith said the last one he received was crooked in two different directions, no wonder I couldn't get it to shoot consistently.
McGowan isn't much better

Lilja - >10 years ago was THE barrel to have. Back then I would never use anyone else. Nowadays, I just don't use them at all but I suspect they're still excellent.
I have two Lilja barrels both in 3G (30" 1:8" .27 cal and 27" 1:9" in .30 cal), and I am very pleased with them. Shoots accurately and hardly fouls.

I shot a 6.5 CM recently that had a #5 Benchmark button rifled barrel, It was suppressed. Pounded a bunch of rounds down it and it did not walk! I was told that their button barrels are triple stress relieved. I have several LV contour Kriegers that shoot amazing and clean so easy. And I am happy with the Bartlien hunting contours I have.

Currently shooting:
1 Brux: 338 Lapua
2 Benchmark: 300 Win and 7 SAUM
2 Bartlein: 300 Win and 6.5 SAUM
1 Proof: 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10
1 Shilen: 300 Blackout bolt gun
1 Wilson: 243

All are great and I'd absolutely buy another from all these manufacturers and that's just what I'm actively shooting. Have two Hells Canyon blanks, just waiting on the reamers to get them spun up so I'm looking forward to that. Have a couple bartlein, brux and hawk hill blanks sitting around too. I'll say the two most accurate guns I'm shooting wear Benchmark barrels but that could be the build and who did the gunsmithing on them and reamer design. Any of the big names will turn out a great barrel and they will all turn out a turd once and a while too.

I don't see rock creek mentioned much - very pleased with mine! Despite proof CF already being mentioned - the last 7 I've developed loads for this year have easily produced consistent 3/8 to 1/2 Moa with minimal effort.
Have you used any Rock Creek button rifled barrels?
I'm about to have one chambered in 30 nosler
I was going to get the cut rifled barrel but the guy at Rock Creek told me I'd never shoot the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.