Barrels 2020

Awesome feedback guys! Thank you. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a couple new barrels in the future and I'm thinking about going out on a limb and trying something new. I also am working for Pierce Engineering now so working there gives me a lot of insight on what people are using and having success with. Recently, I read some posts from Alex Wheeler and he was saying how impressed he was with newly made Lilja barrels. He says the newer ones are really good. I never really hear a ton about Lilja. I know who they are, but to me it's exciting to see manufacturers improving their products, especially barrels. I also know that Hart has new machines and a new 5 groove rifling they're using that's supposed to be doing really well. Keep the feedback coming. Thank you!

I will say, I have been seeing more and more people using Benchmark barrels. When I got into long range shooting like 6-7 years ago, I never really heard much about Benchmark. It seems like in the past couple years I see a lot of people running them. I like to see companies like that grow and I like to root for the smaller guys who make excellent products as well.

I have an IBI barrel that has been pretty good. 1/3moa with bullets it likes, about .7moa with bullets it doesn't favor. Cleans up nice.
Fired 10 x 3 shot groups testing seating depths with a bullet it doesn't like (144hybrid), just to see if I could find a good sweet spot. Best group .4moa the worst .78 moa. With bullets it likes (140eld) it will run 10 into 1/2moa at 300, which for me is pretty solid shooting.

Also, I'll add I have had great luck with Xcaliber as well. Spoke with Steve last week, apparently they have a few new machines that has helped them expand and grow the business. I have no complaints whatsoever in the 5 xcaliber barrels I've dealt with.
That's great news. I've heard mainly good things about X-Caliber but also a couple negatives in the past. The most recent information from like 4-5 X-Caliber owners is all good though. With you mentioning them having some new equipment and the recent positive reviews, that is great news.

That's great news. I've heard mainly good things about X-Caliber but also a couple negatives in the past. The most recent information from like 4-5 X-Caliber owners is all good though. With you mentioning them having some new equipment and the recent positive reviews, that is great news.
I have a X-caliber 26" 1:7" 5R on my budget build .264 WM that shows some promise. I ran a couple of boxes of PRVI 140 PSP factory ammo to break-in the barrel.

.264 WM barrel break-in 1 of 3.jpg

.264 WM barrel break-in 3 of 3.jpg

My last 4-shots at 200 yards.

The intent is to primarily shoot the 156 Berger, whenever I find time to do load development for it.

I have a X-caliber 26" 1:7" 5R on my budget build .264 WM that shows some promise. I ran a couple of boxes of PRVI 140 PSP factory ammo to break-in the barrel.

View attachment 230541
View attachment 230542
My last 4-shots at 200 yards.

The intent is to primarily shoot the 156 Berger, whenever I find time to do load development for it.
Man 264 Win Mag and 156 Berger's is a deadly combination.

Also, I'll add I have had great luck with Xcaliber as well. Spoke with Steve last week, apparently they have a few new machines that has helped them expand and grow the business. I have no complaints whatsoever in the 5 xcaliber barrels I've dealt with.
Wow
You're the first guy with good knowledge to give x caliber a good review.
I've heard nothing but bad stuff about them

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.