Barrell Life 338 rum vs 300 rum

hogg

Can anybody out there tell me what kind of barrell life to expect out of a 338 rum, 338 edge and 300 rum?
Thanks!

300rum don't shoot to many long strings and let the barrel cool and you could be looking at about 1000.

You will not wear out the 338's. You can wear out the 300. The 338 ultramag would be the best since it is more efficient than the 338-300 ultramag getting virtually the same velocity with a tad less powder.

Spliting a pretty fine hair aren't you? I mean the difference between a 338 RUM and a 338 Edge 6 to 8 grains difference? Not significant IMHO

Last edited:
There is no difference between these two if that is what you are asking. In theory the 338 ultramag should get a couple more rounds through a barrel since most loads are three or so grains less than the 338-300 ultramag. Same thing though, same performance other than the 338 ultramag feeds better in standard mag actions and the long bullets aren't so cramped since it is slightly shorter. I built over a hundred 338-300 ultramags in my shop before the turn of the century but when the 338 ultramag came out it made the 338-300 obsolete and I haven't fooled with it since.

The 338-300 Rum is also known as the338 Edge and is a rather popular chambering. Shawn Carlock builds quite a few of them, hardly obsolete IMHO

I didn't say it wasn't popular, I said it was obsolete and has been since the 338 ultramag came out. When a factory chambering hits the market that does everything a wildcat did in a better format the wildcat is then obsolete. Popularity can keep it alive but it is obsolete. I have seen this happen with many over the last 40 years. I currently own quite a few myself. Even a couple of the now obsolete 338-300 ultramags.

I don't say this with any reflection on the gunsmith you mentioned, Shawn Carlock. I have never met Shawn, but have the deepest respect for him and anyone like him who dedicates there life to the shooting sports to make it better through continuing research and developement. I know hunting and shooting inside out and knowbody is going to fool me. I have never known Shawn to misrepresent the facts on performance of the 338-300 ultramag that he calls the Edge. Unlike many other smiths hyping there product, he worked with it and other cartridges to make them better. Shawn should be recognized for his continued hard work striving to produce better rifles and speaking ethically and accurately about them.

Since the 338 Rum lags about 100 FPS behind the Edge with the 3oo SMK I'd say that the Rum isn't quite the equall of the Edge . I've alo spent my life in the shooting sports and I'm not buying the "obsolete" tag

Frist I want to thank everyone for there time . sounds like I will be building 338 rum. Next qestion is which action to build on rem700 ,savage ,or custom. Thanks again.

OK now that we've established that one of you manufactures and the other is a consumer and that somehow 6-8 grains is splitting hairs and insignificant but, the 100fps it gets you is significant do either of you know the answer to the gentleman's original question on barrel life 338rum and edge?

OK now that we've established that one of you manufactures and the other is a consumer and that somehow 6-8 grains is splitting hairs and insignificant but, the 100fps it gets you is significant do either of you know the answer to the gentleman's original question on barrel life 338rum and edge?

I believe that LTLR said you could not wear out a 338. And the general consensus on this site is about 1000 rounds for a 300 RUM.

I believe that LTLR said you could not wear out a 338. And the general consensus on this site is about 1000 rounds for a 300 RUM.

I saw that but, barrels will eventually wear out if shot enough and with hot loads faster so IMHO that's not really an answer but, an opinion. It may take 2k, 10k 100k but eventually the barrel will wear out. Coming from an experienced gunsmith I'm just curious at which point the barrel will eventually wear out. If no one's shot one enough to wear it out then the answer is IDK.

JWP745, How much personal experience do you have with these cartridges you mention? I have shot the 338-300 and the 338 ultramag extensively over a chronograph at long range targets. There is not a 100fps difference on average between them. They are so close it really just depends on the individual barrel. I have seen either outshoot the other. With the small amount of extra case capacity the 338-300 should get slightly more velocity but it is so negligible it is a wash between the two. If velocity is your objective then get a 338-378 weatherby which will outshoot either of these by close to 200 fps. My 340 wby accuracy load is 86 grains of powder. My 338-378 accuracy load is 132 grains of powder. On average there is about 275 fps difference between the two with equivalent length barrels. My accuracy loads with the 338 and 338-300 ultramag vary 3-4 grains of powder. Think about it.

Chas1, As I stated, The two 338's have considerably more barrel life than the 300 ultramag. The two 338's would be about equal. You can not put a number on how many rounds to wear it out because there are to many other factors involved from barrel manufacturer to the type loads shot in it and a thousand other things. The average shooter will not wear out a 338 ultramag barrel. Hogg wanted to know a comparison, he got the answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.