Barrell Length for 338 Edge or Lapua

Steve7mm08

I am looking at getting a barrell imported to put on my Sendero RUM and have it chambered to either 338 edge or 338 Lapua improved. I am leaning well towards the edge to avoid fireforming.

My questions for you guys are-

1 do I need to go to 30" length or would 28" be sufficient

2 The barrells I am looking at are Broughton, what would be a good contour to go in my HS Precision sendero stock. I dont want to go heavier than 13 lb or so

Cheers Guys

If you don't mind weight, longer barrels can always be cut and rechambered and get you some more bullets down the barrel. (accurately)

I also went with a 28" to keep weight down. Its still kinda heavy rifle for packing up and down canyons, IMO. I woulda went with a 30" but I walk to much and 2" of barrel doesn't seem like much, but my rifle is still a little barrel heavy with the 28" + brake. I dont think I"m losing to much in velocity either as compared to a 30" as I'm running the standard load of 92g H-1000 for 2840fps.

As far as caliber, thats all up to you. The EDGE and Lapua are pretty much identical in performance, but if you improve the lapua you'll be ahead of the pack by a little. It all depends on if you want to fireform brass, which is the great thing about the EDGE, you dont have to. Just size and shoot!!

I went with a 30 inche ABS barrel for my 338 Lapua. Not sure why a standard lapua isn't in the mix. My rifle wieghs 11.6 pounds with scope. A Palma contour barrel fluted from Rock Creek will weigh very close to the same as my ABS barrel and I carry mine when hunting and have NO problems what so ever

Shooting338Laupa003.jpg

I don't understand the problem with fireforming brass? You shoot a normal load, loaded on Improved dies, then you just work up to a max load with the improved brass, with increased speed, and less case stretch. Sure dies are going to be a bit extra, but if you're able to afford a big 338, $50 shouldn't hurt too much.

Just my opinion however.

Last edited:
I got a bit windy after reading some peoples opinions on the big 338's being built on Rem 700 actions. Some say they are not strong enough.

How does OAL of 338 Edge and 338 Lapua compare?, It would be great to still fit them in the mag (will fit Wyatts extended mag box)

What contours and Muzzle diameters do you guys have on your 338 tubes?

My 338 Lapua is built on a Rem 700 Action and it works just fine IMHO. I have the Seekins detachable box magazine that allows loaded cartridges to fit up to 3.92" over all length. The Seekins detachable box magazines are the best available IMHO. I have pushed 250 grain SMK's with 95 grains of R-25 for a velocity of 3197 and 98 grains of H-1000 for 3189 FPS
My load for the 300 Grain SMK is 92 grains of H-1000 for 2800 FPS. There are other powders such as Retumbo and US-869 that will give higher velocities with the 300 grainers, but the consistence of H-1000 is excellent IMHO

After all Remington builds a 338 Lapua on the M-700 Action

My 338 Lapua is built on a Rem 700 Action and it works just fine IMHO. I have the Seekins detachable box magazine that allows loaded cartridges to fit up to 3.92" over all length. The Seekins detachable box magazines are the best available IMHO. I have pushed 250 grain SMK's with 95 grains of R-25 for a velocity of 3197 and 98 grains of H-1000 for 3189 FPS
My load for the 300 Grain SMK is 92 grains of H-1000 for 2800 FPS. There are other powders such as Retumbo and US-869 that will give higher velocities with the 300 grainers, but the consistence of H-1000 is excellent IMHO

After all Remington builds a 338 Lapua on the M-700 Action

I take it that your stock is a HS Sendero stock?, can you post up a pick of the seekins mag, I havent heard of those. Does it replace all the remington bottom metal?

''What muzzle diameter do you Edge folk go for?''
------------------------------------------------------------
Just tell Tim North @ broughton/north manufacturing you want a sendero contour that will finish at 28" -or 30" if you choose to go longer.He will send you what you need.
Myself -28" is fine for the velocity level the 338 edge or lapua shoot at , 28" w/a brake is a lonngg barreled hunting rifle.
Long barrels are more desireable w/ huge capacity -high velocity cartridges ,most people who choose 30"-34" or more are using the rifle from a stationary position -i.e. not much toting.
Also a lighter rifle might well recoil less than a heavy rifle when using a brake.
Cheers -Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.