Barrel won't shoot, replace? other options?

I don't know what you did or did not do for your results. I lap every new gun and every used gun and have done alot of used department trade-in guns that I bought from a large LEO store, and the WORST results I have ever had is----group size cut in half---most are more dramatic than that. I have had used guns that were keyholing that started shooting great ( shot out dept. trade-in Mini-14 )

I don't know what you did or did not do for your results. I lap every new gun and every used gun and have done alot of used department trade-in guns that I bought from a large LEO store, and the WORST results I have ever had is----group size cut in half---most are more dramatic than that. I have had used guns that were keyholing that started shooting great ( shot out dept. trade-in Mini-14 )

I followed the instructions from TUBBS.

If you read enough threads about fire lapping, which I have done, you find that for everyone who has your experience, there are several that have mine, and every once in a while, there's someone who has a gun that shoots worse afterwards.

Strikes me that it might work in guns that have corossion in the bore, or a new factory tube that is rought and needs some help ith break in. But it is not going to fix a shot out barrel. Nor can I beleive that a gun that's had 500 plus rounds through it, and has been cleaned along the way, will have enough fouling that fire lapping will make a difference.

I'd like to hear some other members opinions as well.....

If it were me I would accurize and rebarrel it just as you have decided to do. I haven't shot a 6.5-284 but based on all I have read about it I sure would like to .... and I probably will a little later on.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a great 6.5. Long range rebarreling calls for a .280 Ackley I think.
Or maybe a .338-06 if you have use for a thumper inside 500yds.
And the .338-06 will push a 180gr/200gr class slug way faster than an '06 will. Especially in a carry gun with a shorter 22-24" barrel.

STOP fighting with it -wasteing time and supplies -order a custom barrel -have it blueprinted and bedded by a well known smith and be done

I'll assume that this gun never shot well. It has a problem. I totaly agree with the statement made by one of our brother contributors above, rebarrel it, and have it trued up while you are at it.

You will be VERY happy with the results, and honor your Dad's memory with a one hole shooter you can brag on all day in the process.

kevin at Moncour County Rifles would be a great choice to do the work, and very reasonable too. He is a vendor on this website.

I love 25-06, and will always own one (since I always have). For woodchuck to elk it is one rifle that does it all.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.