Barrel twists on your fav .338 long range gun

Black Diamond 408

Im currently working on a project by necking the 505 down to .338 cal. I'm wondering what twists your longrange guns have, bbl length and the speeds you run with the Sierra 300gr bullets. I want to compute the twist i will need for this bullet, the new case should be capable of launching the bullet at speeds over 3500fps. I need to have a twist that will not over spin the bullet so it will stabilize out at 1000yds or farther. I have a pic of the formed case if any one wants to see it i can email it to you. It most likely will have a 35deg shoulder.

DC did a workup on the wildcat and it looks very promising!!
smile.gif

My two 338/416 IMP has a 10 twist.

The 37" barrel on the one has produced 3310 FPS using the 300 Gr Sierra MK.

The case has a 35 degree shoulder.

Later
DC

I don't feel you can "over spin" a bullet as I have shot several fast twist guns with light bullets and had no problem. However I tend to go with the slowest twist I can get away with. For example- 1 in 11 for 300 Win Mags up to 210 gr bullets. Boots Obermeyer uses a 13 for 190.
You can literally spin the jacket off in too fast on light made bullets.
To answer your question a 10 will work great or maybe a little slower. Remember, the faster you push the bullet, you can get away with a slower twist.

According to almost everyone here,the twist for .338 300 MK:s is 10". Man,I was more than happy to find out that my TRG-S has a 10" twist (instead of the still advertised 12"), otherwise I´d stayed with 250 grainers.

Very low ES,some bedding things to fix now but my first shot is always where it´s supposed to be with the MK:s and the deer are out there now...

The Greenhill Formula gives you 9.95" for that combo too.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.