barrel twist

Laker_Taker

Can someone tell me if there is a way to tell what the twist of the barrel is? I just bought a .223 WSSM browning A bolt II composite stalker. I would like to shoot the heavier pills.

Thanks Aaron

Zeroed_in,

Use a cleaning rod that will spin off the handle as you push it through the barrel with a patch. Place it where the patch is already started into the rifling's, place a dot right on top of the rod by the handle, place a mark using a marker on the rod right next to the rod-guide. Start pushing the rod in slow and making sure it's spinning. When the dot comes back to be right on top the rod again, make another mark on the rod right next to the rod-guide. This means the rod has made one full turn. Measure the distance between the two marks and if you get 10 inches or real close to it then it would be 1:10 rifling.
Good luck!

Hi Aaron get your cleaning rod and place a tight fitting patch on the jag then mark the top of the rod and a reference point to the action then push the cleaning rod in until the top mark is on the top of the rod again and mark the rod again at the same reference point on the action then measure the distance between the marks. The easiest way is to look up the specifications of your rifle and they should tell you. I would think it would have a 12 twist and you will be limited in projectile weight the only good 223wssm i have ever shoot well was a Rem Police rifle that was a 9 twist 223 that was modified with a 22-250 magazine and rechambered for a no turn 223 Wssm and it shoots the 68 to 80gr projectiles under 3/8moa regularly. If you want to shoot the heavies you may have to look at rebarreling it you can sometimes pick up a take out Ruget 9 twist 223 barrel 26" long and have it rechambered and fitted that would be the cheapest way to get it shooting heavy projectiles i think.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Thanks guys your trick worked I have a 1-10 twist. After I used the cleaning rod I went to brownings web site and I found the specs. One last question can a 1-10 twist handle 70-80 grain pills?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.