Barrel Twist ?

wildcat338

Hi All,

I have a 30 cal. 1 in 14T barrel and was wondering what weight bullets this twist would be optimal for?

Thanks in Advance!!!

Meichele thanks that really helps out alot as that was the particular bullet I was thinking of or the 165 sierra gameking.

I have a Sako TRG-S in 338 WM that Im not doing anything with and I was given this barrel so I was thinking of doing a 300 RUM with it as I love the caliber.

Thanks Again!!!

With the 300 RUM velocities, you may have some luck with heavier bullets as well. I knew a group of guys in AZ that experimented with the 180 BT in 14-15 twists in 30-378 WBY. I dont remember exact results and I am sure the 180 BT in 14x might be on the lean side of things, but the 175 SMK, 178 AMAX and 180 ACCUBOND might be worth a trial as they did have some success with the 180's. Heck I get stability with the 200 AB in a 12x Lilja, which should be borderline impossible, but it works.

Just to help anyone over 70, if you want a barrel twist projection for candidate bullet and are "lost in the lands", if you send me the corect bullet length, MV and weight, I will run it though a program installed in Excel on my "confusalator" and publish what it says BUT you must undersatnd that a SG >1.3 is considered " fully stablilzed" which does NOT mean that a sg down to 1.0 will not work. If you want to have a bullet tumble on impact like the first 5.56 with 52 gr that went end for end on impact on "Charlie", a slow twist will make furburgers or terroristburgers in a heartbeat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Meichele

Thanks again for the help and info that opens up things a little. Always useful to have more options /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OverBore

Thanks as well I'll keep that in mind its much appreciated.

Aloha and Good shooting!

Since we're on this subject. I've got a .30 26" 11 twist. I'm going to chamber it in 300wm. I'd like to use lighter bullets to keep velocity up. So what should I start out with?

Son, RTFI!!! For your info, without the bullet length or MV, a quick walk in the park shows 175gr + - as a good weight for that twist but you are getting into a higlty stablilized bullet. Since you did not supply the specifics, here is quick and dirty chart I developed to get into the ballpark but you must know bullet lengths 1.485"-1.626" and <2,800fps = 1-11 twist and `1.238" to 1.355" long and >2,800fps 1-11: Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just to help anyone over 70, if you want a barrel twist projection for candidate bullet and are "lost in the lands", if you send me the corect bullet length, MV and weight, I will run it though a program installed in Excel on my "confusalator" and publish what it says BUT you must undersatnd that a SG >1.3 is considered " fully stablilzed" which does NOT mean that a sg down to 1.0 will not work. If you want to have a bullet tumble on impact like the first 5.56 with 52 gr that went end for end on impact on "Charlie", a slow twist will make furburgers or terroristburgers in a heartbeat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] More complete info, a work in progress is at:
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/6mmbr.vpost?=id1731002

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts