Barrel Twist vs. Bullet Weight

Quick Karl

<font color="blue">I have a 300 WM with a Douglas Premium XX Air-Gauged barrel with a 1/10 twist – intending to shoot 200g bullets. A close friend suggests that 180g bullets are the 'optimum' 30-caliber bullet (a subjective opinion to say the least).

My question is, will the faster 1/10 twist of my barrel degrade the accuracy of a 180g bullet by spinning it 'too fast'. If so, what is the logic behind that?

Looking forward to some interesting answers.</font>

No

You would have to reach 3400 to 3500 fps before over
rotation would occur.

A 1 in 10 twist is very good in a 300win mag and will
shoot the 220gr bullets well also.

I have only had this problem once ,And it was a 32" 1in9 twist barreled 7STW with 120gr bullets exceeding 3800fps
accuracy started going away at around 3700fps.

You should be fine with 150 to 240 gr bullets, and your
rifle will tell you which one it likes best.

As the ausies say NO WORRIES MATE
J E CUSTOM

The 180 gr. ballistic tip is good along with the 200gr. accubond and the 210 berger. The 180gr bullet is not the only way to go but will work fine

Karl, i would be willing to bet that your best accuracy will happen with the 200-220 gr bullets.

JD, the accuracy starting to deteriorate after 3700 was probably more a problem with the bullet not being able to take the RPM's from a structural standpoint and not an over rotating stabilization issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.