Barrel tuners?

No I think the tuner and harmonics are not directly changed by altitude.
What is changed is air density and temperature.

Temp will affect burn rate, velocity and time to exit barrel

Air density will affect flight velocity and your groups.

So tweaking the tuner at altitude is just to compensate for these things and find the setting that gives you tightest groups again.

I tied for 1st place at our 600yd match with the ats tuner on a 22 creedmoor. I think they all work the same pretty much. The ats is kinda ugly in my opinion compared to the ec tuner or the tmb but for function, I like the infinite adjustment and being able to run whatever brake I want. I just re tuned it the weekend before but it was just a slight tweak and I'm literally trying to make one hole at 200 yards with it so for practical reasons I wouldn't have touched it. I lost the tie breaker to center x and I was literally 1/2" from dead center of the x.

Yes, the whole reason I went w ATS on my .338 LM is I wanted the maximum amount of recoil reduction feasibly possible.

All the advice I got here and in watching the sled test recoil comparisons on the videos at Muzzle Brakes and More said the Super Beast 5 port and the Terminator from New Zealand tied on the brake tests.

The EC tuner brake is very nice and if I were doing something on a below .30 caliber especially non magnum I would consider it more.

But, for .30 cal and larger magnums Id rather have all the recoil reduction I can get and barrel tuning.

So I have the super beast and an ATS on the .338 LM

Had several emails back and forth with the owner of Strike Without Warning , out of Australia. Their TMB tuner has some impressive results. I asked about Altitude etc. He says set it at your zero and you can write down your results as you warm up the barrel and or enviromentals. He says he sets it and up shoots. If you have a properly tuned load you should mitigate any effects of heat etc.

The Strike Without Warning TMB is impressive

I really like mine. Heavy and stout though. I believe you can find false tunes or narrow tunes with all of them. One guy says the tune should stay pretty good within 1/10 of powder charge if it's in a good node. I've never played with this but it does seem like it's very similar to seating depth tune in my experience. I also think the the cheap rubber dampeners are very forgiving on stress relief barrels as I haven't noticed any of them fall out of tune winter/summer but that's just my opinion but probably have used them on 6-7 or more rifles

Below are the results of my EC Tuner Brake testing. To begin, I really wanted to test the effectiveness of the tuner so I basically bypassed all load development. The rifle is a 22-250 Imp, bullet is 75grn vld, powder is RL26. We plugged the data in quickload, picked a charge that was well below max pressure and near 100% case fill, seating depth is approx .025 off. Groups shot at 212 yds. Upper left group (cold clean barrel) tuner brake setting 0, upper middle setting 2, upper right setting 4, bottom left setting 3, bottom right setting 6. I am pretty sure i pulled the right most on upper right and went with that setting. I have only been able to shoot this out to 600 yds and the accuracy from the combo is ridiculous. The rifle started out as a Savage model 12 in .223 with a pretty shot out throat. It was rechambered in .22-250 Imp, new bolt, new recoil lug, stock upgrade to GRS berserk, Sightron 8-32x50 SIII. Weighs a ton and the only shot I've had on game was a coyote at less than 20 yds.
22-250 tuner.jpg

Here's my tune with undeveloped 245 bergers at bergers recommended max and coal in 300prc with tmb tuner at 200, 2 shot groups unless I thought I had something or pulled my shot. Last 7 o'clock is me struggling with zero stop and 2 shot groups and then left it at center bullseye until I had more time

Attachments

• 9441AA80-E62E-463C-9596-D0BF5A1760C8.jpeg
    9441AA80-E62E-463C-9596-D0BF5A1760C8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • CC6D1214-9F5D-49FF-9DC0-0C8BF56A2B07.jpeg
    CC6D1214-9F5D-49FF-9DC0-0C8BF56A2B07.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
After 500 rounds and 8 different bullet and powder combinations trying to fine tune loads for a one hole group, I installed the Cortina unit and after moving the tuner dial from zero to 2.5 I shot this group. I ran out of time so I am going back to the range to see if it will shrink some more and if its repeatable. Up until I installed the tuner I could only get 3/4 moa out of this rifle with this load or any load for that matter. The rifle is a Ruger american in 308 installed in a boyds stock with a matthews cheek rest and a 4x14 power leupold. Brass is 3x fired Lapua, 42.0g benchmark, CCI BR primer and a 155 barnes match burner set at .095" CBTO.
I am now a believer.

Attachments

• ruger 308.jpg
    ruger 308.jpg
    791.8 KB · Views: 77
After 500 rounds and 8 different bullet and powder combinations trying to fine tune loads for a one hole group, I installed the Cortina unit and after moving the tuner dial from zero to 2.5 I shot this group. I ran out of time so I am going back to the range to see if it will shrink some more and if its repeatable. Up until I installed the tuner I could only get 3/4 moa out of this rifle with this load or any load for that matter. The rifle is a Ruger american in 308 installed in a boyds stock with a matthews cheek rest and a 4x14 power leupold. Brass is 3x fired Lapua, 42.0g benchmark, CCI BR primer and a 155 barnes match burner set at .095" CBTO.
I am now a believer.
Thats great to hear.