Barrel Tuners- Muzzle Breaks- Barrel Harmonics Management

Veteran

First I watched every youtube video I could find on the subject, then I went out and bought some shaft collars, and couplers that would fit two of my rifles, and began experimenting a little. Lately, I read everything I could find on LRH from posts ranging from 2006 to present, then I searched for more details on the internet in general. I found Varmintal.com which is authored by a gentleman who retired from Lawrence Livermore labs, and spent his whole career running complex structural analysis on steel and other materials using models with time-steps and cells where the model calculates pressures, velocities, harmonics, and all the data 1 step and 1 cell at a time all the way from the ignition at firing down to the end of the barrel. This is called FEA analysis or Finite Element Analysis. He has a fascinating web site with a ton of science behind his conclusions. I understand harmonics because I had to have labs specializing in harmonic vibration on larger rotating compressors and machinery analyze harmonic vibrations which were tearing down multi-million dollar facilities.

Now, I know there are perhaps many on this site who will just say, you don't need a tuner, because if you reload, you can tune the harmonics out of your rifle with bullet seating, and powder selection and velocity/pressure optimization.

But, its clear to me from all the reading that I've done that there are just as many who will say, yes, you can get 70 or 80% there by bullet seating, and powder selection, and velocity/pressure measurement, and glass bedding, free floating, pillar bedding, and having a good stock. But there are just as many who will tell you they went from 0.5 MOA groups to 0.2 MOA groups or from 1 MOA plus groups to .75 MOA groups using a tuner after they did all of the above. It's maybe not critical for hunting in the 100-300 yard range. I usually shoot and tag 3-4 deer per year all from 30 yards to 150 yards max. But for long range hunting and ELR shooting, I would think any improvements in group size would be sort of important? Evidently, a lot more competitive benchrest shooters are using tuners than used to or were back in 2006? I have come to believe they can help improve groups even after good load development.

I'm looking for 1 ragged hole accuracy at 100 yards with all my rifles. So, I am considering buying and having a gun smith install tuners on several of my rifles.

Some of my questions were answered by my reading, and I had good results using my cheapo experiments especially on my .338 Lapua Magnum just using a $25 shaft collar that weighs about 1.8 lbs. It was hard for me to believe that part of my performance issues on MOA with this rifle were harmonics related, because it is a free floated barrel, and it's a big heavy barrel. I started to realize just how much pressure and velocity can affect even a big heavy barrel, and that all rifles have harmonics that have to be managed. My MOA went from around 1 down to 0.5 to .625 range when I installed the 1.8 shaft collar, using the same loads. That's when I knew that this rifle had a harmonics issue, even as big and heavy as it is.

My Lapua is the Savage BA 110 LE law enforcement model which weighs 17 lbs. with a 26 inch bbl. Plus Muzzle break, even with no scope etc. It's not a rifle I plan to carry further than from the car to the benchrest or to a portable benchrest looking out over a 500 or 700 yard long clear cut or wild flat canyon lands with a big view down on the Pecos in Texas. It's a firearm that is generally planned to be fired from a pre set or expedient station, not carried, certainly not in mountains.

Several things I have had on my mind. 1) How much weight is optimum for a barrel tuner, and does the length, and diameter and weight of the barrel have any correlation to that answer? I'm thinking that the 9 oz. to 12 oz. weights used in Harrell's and the EC Tuner may not be enough for a big heavy barrel? Nor may the muzzle brakes they build onto those tuners be sufficient or at least equal to what is already there. Its also clear to me that you can also overdo the weight of the tuner as Varmintal shows that in some of his experiments. How do you decide what is perfect for your rifle without running an FEA analysis? Someone must have some ideas or experience?

Since I have a standard factory Savage muzzle break on my .338 Lapua, what is the best tuner available commercially that incorporated an adequate or optimum break for a large caliber rifle if anyone makes one?

I know both Harrell's and Eric Cortina make tuners that incorporate muzzle breaks, but I need to make sure I get a good one for this rifle, and I don't care about weight vs. really good function.

Because the Savage factory muzzle break is designed with no ports on the bottom, it has more gas escaping straight up which forces the barrel downward too. Is this potentially one of my harmonics problems with the rifle? Is there a better muzzle break design for accuracy?

Some of the advantages I see for having a tuner are:

• I may improve over just using my load development to manage harmonics
  • It's tunable fairly easy for different factory or reloaded ammo.
  • It can be fine tuned for differences in altitude, humidity, temperature if needed.
  • It may save some costs on load development
Are there any gunsmith's that specialize in tuner installations that anyone would recommend? You can PM me if you want.

I meant to include these pictures attached of the simple experiment I ran using a $25 shaft coupler or collar.

Attachments

• 20201007_105749.jpg
    20201007_105749.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 232
  • 20201007_105520.jpg
    20201007_105520.jpg
    819.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 20201006_144656.jpg
    20201006_144656.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 263
I learned way back when browning had the boss system that barrel tuners work. Loved my 300 win mag in that model 70 with the boss. I use those ugly rubber things that slide up and down the barrel with good to excellent success on lighter hunting barrels. I have an ats tuner for my 22 creedmoor that has a heavier barrel and I have 2 calibers ordered from without warning for a heavier barreled 6.5 creedmoor and 300 prc. I love picking my velocity instead of letting the barrel decide.

Harrell's Precision makes a great tuner brake and is very affordable, as is all their items.
Winchester originally came up with the BOSS system and sold it to browning. You can find Browning at Ebay

Several things I have had on my mind. 1) How much weight is optimum for a barrel tuner, and does the length, and diameter and weight of the barrel have any correlation to that answer? I'm thinking that the 9 oz. to 12 oz. weights used in Harrell's and the EC Tuner may not be enough for a big heavy barrel?
I have used Mike Ezell's tuner that weighs in at over 10oz and currently run a Bramley tuner that weights 2.5oz. These are used on 1.25" straight 30-31" barrels in F-open rigs. Both tuners behave the same in that over 0.005-0.006" of axial movement will repeat the shot dispersion pattern. I have fellow competitors that tune their F-TR rifles (medium to heavy Palma contours, 30-32") with heavy rubber O-rings to good effect (think Browning BOSS system).

Excellent writeup! Thanks!
Tuners DO work. I'm going to test Harrell's tuner/brake on my 7SS when it's finished. If I had the $ I would compare Harrell's and Eric's. Many BR shooters and PRS shooters run tuners - some also add brakes - especially with magnums.

I have used Mike Ezell's tuner that weighs in at over 10oz and currently run a Bramley tuner that weights 2.5oz. These are used on 1.25" straight 30-31" barrels in F-open rigs. Both tuners behave the same in that over 0.005-0.006" of axial movement will repeat the shot dispersion pattern. I have fellow competitors that tune their F-TR rifles (medium to heavy Palma contours, 30-32") with heavy rubber O-rings to good effect (think Browning BOSS system).
This is really interesting information, in that you are saying you see the same shot dispersion patterns using two different weight tuners, which implies that the harmonics may be managed by either weight and that the effect on the harmonics may be relatively weight insensitive (at least within a range of weight) and that you see the same shot dispersion patterns with these different weights when moving them about the same distance along the barrel. If I understood what you said, this is my paraphrase for confirmation and clarification? What also interests me a lot is that the weight ranges you report being used on big heavy barrels even by F class guys is being managed by weights in the 10 oz. range which is what Harrells and ECtuner sort of match up to as well. So, that's all I may need. I am gonna investigate both a little more. When I used the shaft collar, I started it way up the barrel towards the chamber and did not see anything good. It was not until I got it out almost on the end of the barrel at about .4 inches from the end before the muzzle brake that I got tight groups. So, I knew it worked, but I did not know if anything I would install that is a real tuner would need to be as heavy as that shaft collar. Apparently not, or not necessarily. Now, I just need more information on what
muzzle brake would be best? And if one that does not push the barrel down would be better?

Tuners DO work. No doubt. However, one must know what a tuner is designed to do and perform systematic testing/data logging to use one to best effect. A tuner is used to keep a well tuned rifle in tune as atmospheric conditions change over a short period of time...like over a day or two or three at a match. Trying to do load development by twisting a tuner will get you crossed up, likely having a load that is not id a proper powder and seating depth 'nodes'. What I have used a tuner for is to make an adjustment over a match day where the temperature/pressure has changed dramatically from morning to afternoon and kept the rifle shooting small over that time. The people who claim tuners are voodoo are those that tried tuning the rifle by tuner mainly instead of arriving at a great load and then keeping that load shooting as conditions vary.

@Veteran Remember, changes in the axial direction of 0.001" make a significant difference on target. I have even moved tuners 1/2 an increment (0.0005") and watched my vertical dispersion cut nearly in half at 1000yds. Adjusting a moving mass requires a setup where you can accurately moves such small distances between groups...hence most are threaded in a very fine pitch.

This is really interesting information, in that you are saying you see the same shot dispersion patterns using two different weight tuners, which implies that the harmonics may be managed by either weight and that the effect on the harmonics may be relatively weight insensitive (at least within a range of weight) and that you see the same shot dispersion patterns with these different weights when moving them about the same distance along the barrel. If I understood what you said, this is my paraphrase for confirmation and clarification? What also interests me a lot is that the weight ranges you report being used on big heavy barrels even by F class guys is being managed by weights in the 10 oz. range which is what Harrells and ECtuner sort of match up to as well. So, that's all I may need. I am gonna investigate both a little more. When I used the shaft collar, I started it way up the barrel towards the chamber and did not see anything good. It was not until I got it out almost on the end of the barrel at about .4 inches from the end before the muzzle brake that I got tight groups. So, I knew it worked, but I did not know if anything I would install that is a real tuner would need to be as heavy as that shaft collar. Apparently not, or not necessarily. Now, I just need more information on what
muzzle brake would be best? And if one that does not push the barrel down would be better?
The directions on the rubber things say if barrel is free floating, place near end of barrel. If not, start about 1" from the chamber side.

The directions on the rubber things say if barrel is free floating, place near end of barrel. If not, start about 1" from the chamber side.
The brothers that I know that use heavy rubber O-rings to tune their F-TR guns place them a few inches back from the muzzle and tune by adding/subtracting O-rings. Seems to work for them as they are very accomplished national level shooters. I think you could put them anywhere on the barrel but near the muzzle seems to have more 'leverage' on changes (makes the barrel more sensitive to finer changes).

Tuners DO work. No doubt. However, one must know what a tuner is designed to do and perform systematic testing/data logging to use one to best effect. A tuner is used to keep a well tuned rifle in tune as atmospheric conditions change over a short period of time...like over a day or two or three at a match. Trying to do load development by twisting a tuner will get you crossed up, likely having a load that is not id a proper powder and seating depth 'nodes'. What I have used a tuner for is to make an adjustment over a match day where the temperature/pressure has changed dramatically from morning to afternoon and kept the rifle shooting small over that time. The people who claim tuners are voodoo are those that tried tuning the rifle by tuner mainly instead of arriving at a great load and then keeping that load shooting as conditions vary.
Yes, I agree completely. Why take a load that shoot's like pie pan size groups and try to tune that?? Do the very best job you can to get your SD and ES in single digits, Optimize your powder selection, your bullet selection, your bullet seating depth, glass bed or free float your barrel or pillar bed, get a good stock, make sure you are not shooting off concrete, hold or support the rifle the exact same way each shot, and get the best groups you can doing all the right stuff, then see if you can tune out any residual left over barrel hamonics with a tuner. I have just been amazed to learn how much deformation even a big bull barrel goes through when it is shot. I have learned that longer skinny barrels with more flex are gonna give worse problems than short fat barrels say 18 inches or less that are more rigid.

I also think that the harmonics are worse in big magnum calibers even with their bull barrels, because there is just a higher magnitude of pressure and gas wave impacting the steel. I may have ---before I started learning about harmonics in gun barrels, just chalked up larger groups on the big magnums to recoil, and they are just harder to shoot with accuracy due to recoil. But I have come to realize, there is also a significant amount of inaccuracy in big magnums that is all harmonics. I really have no excuse with my .338 Lapua Mag because it weighs 20 lbs., and the recoil is a lot less than my TC Encore .300 Win Mag. Both rifles though have a lot of harmonic issues to be managed by load development and doing all the right stuff, and then maybe using a barrel tuner to really manage the residual or left over harmonics that still exist. Now, maybe you can get a pretty low velocity, low charge load, that does not recoil as much , has less pressure and force, and the harmonics will be more manageable using just load development, but I want to be shooting at fairly flat trajectory, and at moderately high velocities, (Not max but maybe higher than factory ammo), and so I think my desire for more velocity means I am gonna possible have more issues with harmonics than if I just settle for "slow boat" kind of loads. Pea shooters don't have no harmonics.....😄

Chris Long in all of his analysis of barrel timing nodes, OBT work, has showed there are a range of velocity nodes all the way up and down the load charge weight chart for a given bullet where the harmonics may be more optimum. Some of those nodes, would require such high pressure and velocity that I can't get there without exceeding Max Pressure for my loads in either the .338 LM or the .300 WM. His theory is based on the travel time of the shock and pressure waves through steel and is a function of the barrel length. (Though I think there may be some differences in due to the weight and structure of the barrel that could also be a factor). So I generally try to shoot charges that give me an optimum barrel time that matches his nodes to try to find an optimum charge weight for a given powder and bullet. I haven't found his nodes to work exactly, but it gives me the right neighborhood to work in to do the Dan Newbury OCW, Saterlee Velocity Sill, or ladder test. I use Quickload to do all this, and I optimize Quickload to match my actual velocities to back into the actual burn rate for my particular batch or lot of powder.

Burn rate is not a constant......That's why burn rate charts are always "Relative". Even, your lot of powder if contaminated by humidity can have a change in its burn rate. So, after I get a back calculated burn rate in Quickload based on my actual velocities I will use a corrected burn rate in QuickLoad to then re-calculate the OBT charge weight using the Chris Long nodes, to see how that is matching up with my actual shooting MOA's. I do think that Varmintal's method of using FEA analysis which accounts for barrel weight, barrel taper, and barrel length is far superior to the Chris Long method, but is far too complex for me, and most other people. Few of us even has an FEA model much less could accurately manage the inputs and modeling needed to use it.
So, the best approach I have found is the combination of Chris Long's OBT method for getting a close estimate of optimal charge weight, then using the Dan Newbury OCW theory, the Saterlee Sill graph, and the ladder test to prove it out on target paper.

But, yes why tune from a pie pan size MOA load??? No, do your homework first, then make 1 ragged hole with a tuner.