barrel to stock fit

dmgreene

I've got a rifle that has a very poor fit between the barrel and stock. I told my smith to order a factory sendero contour but he ordered something different. I want bed around the barrel to make the fit a bit better but the barrel is fluted and I'm afraid the bedding will mechanically lock the barrel to stock. I was planning on filling the flutes with putty and then wrapping with electrical tape. Will this work or is there a better way?
Thanks David

You can fill the flutes with modeling clay then tape over them but simply using a few layers of tape will work as the tape won't seat up into the flute unless you force it in their so you will just end up with a flat spot where the flutes are.

When I bed a barrel channel yet want the barrel floated I use 4 layers of duct tape , it works realy well if you run the tape long ways from the action to the muzzle , just center the tape on the bottom of the barrel and you will end up with a nice even smooth barrel chanel. just use a good coat of of release , paste wax works well.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.