Barrel threads

MAX

Just finished reading Mr. Vaughn's book and noted with some interest the chapter on barrel threads, the good, the bad and the ugly. Has anyone adopted the ramp thread approach he wrote of? WHO? If not, do you know why?

[ 03-12-2003: Message edited by: MAX ]

Nice shoot'n, Tex--that's a question I'd LOVE to absorb some elaboration on--just reviewed that section today ma` self! Apparently, the process will work with the ramp threads cut into the barrel without them being present in the receiver as well, although I suppose the difference is like comparing a single-faced clutch to a double inter-lock.
smile.gif

Hope someone gives some insider info on this thought-provoking topic.

Dave

Mike Belle, a High Master Highpower shooter from Florida has been shooting a bolt gun with Spiralock Threads. He says the rifle/barrel shoots good, but no more or less so than his rifles with conventional threading.

There's a fairly in-depth debate on that topic on Delphi Forum's Florida Highpower. A few engineers ringing in, but Belle was the only one with shooting experience on Spiralock.

Thanks for the link. Still looking for INPUT.....
smile.gif
What Vaughn said made sense to me, even the pipe thread approach. There is a bit to consider on this. Some of the converstation at Fla. Highpower is deep, I need to go back and do it at a more considered pace.

S1

I know from this forum that you do a considerable amount of development work on rifles, and this topic on thread patterns has caught my interest; and now your illusive tease has me more interested..
cool.gif
Without disclosing anything you may have tried, or are aware of, do you...employ any of these more advanced methods on some of the weapons you build? I'm still completely open to finding someone to work on my 6mm project..

Dave

PS to all in the above: spiralock...I believe that is a patended ramp-thread, is it not? I have also heard of a decreasing radial cut thread, and another thread that...I don't recall all the details, but something about the angle of the pitch changing.
confused.gif
Wish I could offer some answers, but would really love to hear from some of those who've messed with the concept.

Cybra,

Yes, we have done considerable research in this area. There are in fact a number of NASA engineers and Aero engineers, that have found a number of ways to more equally distribute thread loads. This however, is only part of the equation to eliminating movement in a standard threaded barrel joint.
smile.gif

The threaded barrel joint is an error source on most modern rifles. There is in fact a number of ways to reduce the impact of this error source, some are quite a bit more cost-effective than others.

I had just read through that same chapter today as well, funny you should post this, as I was wondering about it now myself.
smile.gif
I havn't checked out the link to the other thread yet but will take a peak. I did find his sketch on pg 115 to be reversed though, the receiver face would have to be to the left, would it not?

With that small of contact area I wonder how many times the barrel could be switched and not gaul and ruin either one, he was using CM I believe? It seems like what would work best is a progressive rate thread pitch starting finer and going coarser at the barrel shoulder. Can you cut a progressive thread like that on a lathe?

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.