Barrel thickness for .375 RUM

Long Dog

I am building a .375 RUM with a 26" #4 sporter contour barrel. After looking at the muzzle thickness I am wondering is this barrel heavy enough? What is the safe barrel thickness at the "B Measurement" and the muzzle (C Measurement) for this caliber? A #4 contour is 1.200 at the shank (no issues there) and then tapers to .850 (B Measurement) and finally down to .650 at the muzzle (C measurement). This leaves .1375" barrel thickness at the muzzle. Is this enough?

#4 is about the smallest you'll find in a pre-fab blank which is a pretty good indicator that it's on the light side.

-- richard

I am building a .375 RUM with a 26" #4 sporter contour barrel. After looking at the muzzle thickness I am wondering is this barrel heavy enough? What is the safe barrel thickness at the "B Measurement" and the muzzle (C Measurement) for this caliber? A #4 contour is 1.200 at the shank (no issues there) and then tapers to .850 (B Measurement) and finally down to .650 at the muzzle (C measurement). This leaves .1375" barrel thickness at the muzzle. Is this enough?

That is very light IMO.

I would recomend a #6 contour(.750 ) because it adds less than 1 pound and has enough stiffness,
but will also fit most sporter stocks.

I like #7s or 8s on my big bores.

Remember the larger bores lighten the barrel and all barrel makers use the 30 cal for average
weight.(A # 5 in 375 should weigh no more than a #4 in 30 cal.

J E CUSTOM

Is this enough?
The #3 Weatherby contour is about the same as yours and they use it for a 378.

A Winchester factory 375 H&H is heavier, .950 at "B" and about 675-700 at 26".

If it was for me, I wouldn't want it any smaller than the Winchester factory barrel. I have a new 6mm barrel that is .900 at "B" and .650 at 28".

Last edited:
thanks for the replies. I think I will go to the #6 contour. I would hate to put too light of barrel on the rifle and it have too much whip and heat up too quickly. I did not think about the additional "meat" required for the brake, but got to have a brake on that beast.

thanks for the replies. I think I will go to the #6 contour. I would hate to put too light of barrel on the rifle and it have too much whip and heat up too quickly. I did not think about the additional "meat" required for the brake, but got to have a brake on that beast.

Ive just finished pillar bedding a factory Remington .375RUM, its about #4 contour, no muzzlebreak, just the Remington pad on it, with a lil work and
good grip and attitude you can control it without too much weight on the barrel.
We got very good groups with nosler Accubonds on the 260 gr range.
For a hunting rifle i think a #4 will do the works without too much additional
weight, by the way I dont like breaks in any caliber.
I have the parts for a .338 edge, will be a hunting rifle with a factory contour
.338rum barrel just waiting for the .338e reamer.
good luck with your big bore rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.