Barrel Shortening

frostop

Has anyone shortened a barrel down beyond existing fluting and added a brake?
If so how did it work out and do you have any pictures of the finished barrel?

I know all the cons of this and don't need to hear about them, just want to know if anyone has done this?

I did it myself. Precision stayed the same just lower velocity. Factory was 26, a decade ago I had it cut down to 20. This time I did the work

Can is a SF FA762SS

20220401_152644.jpg
20220401_012121.jpg
20220330_213959.jpg

The system works well. I shoot hogs with M118 LRs, chronoed at around 2500.

Last edited:
I had a fluted Encore 7-08 made into an AI and cut to 16" that looked like bamban but worked perfect. As long as the look doesn't bother you, it'll work fine.

I had a fluted Encore 7-08 made into an AI and cut to 16" that looked like bamban but worked perfect. As long as the look doesn't bother you, it'll work fine.

It is a field gun. I just want to see how the 16-1/2 works. I have a couple of blanks I can spin up at my leisure. Not in the business, just a hobbyist.

Thank you for the reply's guys.

I'm in the same boat, do some stuff myself. Will probably do this as well!

It is a field gun. I just want to see how the 16-1/2 works. I have a couple of blanks I can spin up at my leisure. Not in the business, just a hobbyist.
Sorry if I came across knocking your look…that wasn't my intention. I'm a hobbyist too, the hinge on the Encore barrel was bigger than my spindle so and I didn't want to do it between centers…so I let a buddy with a bigger spindle bore do it.

What I meant by my comment is if frostop doesn't mind the flute running up to the suppressor and actually being a jagged shoulder then it will work fine.

Again bamban sorry, you're one of the good guys around here and I wasn't knocking your work or your look.

Did you do velocity tests before and after just for knowledge?

If directed at me.

20 inch velocity was running around 2600. 16-1/2 dropped to around 2500. Those numbers were with M118 LRs, never shot any reloads for this rifle. The 175 SMKs from the LR ammo were plenty good, precision wise, for my intended use.
20220414_110532.jpg

I use the ammo when I harvested 16-1/2 barrel from take off FTR for one of my AR10s. FLIR thermal was eventually mated to this upper. 1st picture shows the SF brake adapter, 2nd with the FA762SS attached.
20220414_143855.jpg

20220414_103207.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry if I came across knocking your look…that wasn't my intention. I'm a hobbyist too, the hinge on the Encore barrel was bigger than my spindle so and I didn't want to do it between centers…so I let a buddy with a bigger spindle bore do it.

What I meant by my comment is if frostop doesn't mind the flute running up to the suppressor and actually being a jagged shoulder then it will work fine.

Again bamban sorry, you're one of the good guys around here and I wasn't knocking your work or your look.

All is well, bud.

If directed at me.

20 inch velocity was running around 2600. 16-1/2 dropped to around 2500. Those numbers were with M118 LRs, never shot any reloads for this rifle. The 175 SMKs from the LR ammo were plenty good, precision wise, for my intended use.
View attachment 440965

I use the ammo when I harvested 16-1/2 barrel from take off FTR for one of my AR10s. FLIR thermal was eventually mated to this upper. 1st picture shows the SF brake adapter, 2nd with the FA762SS attached.
View attachment 440963
View attachment 440966
GREAT INFO THANKS