Barrel Recommendation?

Right now, I have Rock River lower Receiver (AR15), Rock River upper receiver. Seekins Precision LPK and Geisselle Super T trigger.
I want an accurate barrel for varmint hunting and target shooting.
I don't want a long barrel, maybe 20", longer if I went carbon fiber cause it wouldn't add the weight.
What do you all recommend? Also, I'm not set on a caliber either
I use a 7mm-08, with a X-Caliber 22" stainless barrel. 1000 yards is no problem!

This barrel builder will build what you want, exactly to your specs. If they see a problem, in your specs, they will call you and offer friendly advise.

It was an absolute honor to work with this company. I'd suggest, giving them a shot!

If it is just for punching paper and smaller critters I'd look hard at the 224Valkyrie.

Larue Tactical makes a complete upper assembly for just under $800 that comes with EVERYTHING you need; upper/handguard, barrel, gas block/tube, BCG, charging handle, buffer tube, recoil spring/buffer, stock, grip, trigger, lower parts kit etc... pretty much everything but the lower (which can be bought for $200 more once you order your upper kit); so for $1000 all in you could have yourself a bonefide LaRue AR. Their caliber selection is pretty comprehensive too. I just received a 12" 300 Blackout from them, the machining work is perfect, for a monolithic upper it is scary light, and it locks up almost so tight that I need tools to push the takedown pins on 3 different milspec forged lowers. It's an incredible value. For what you are wanting to do they offer an 18" Grendel or a 20" Valkyrie. If you went this route you'd only be out the money you've paid into your RRA upper, and you'd get a heck of a lot of value for it.

ETA... yes I know you are just looking for a barrel suggestion, in your parts list you didnt mention having any other parts for the upper beyond a stripped receiver, by the time you buy a barrel, BCG, charging handle, misc upper parts and a handguard you are going to be within spitting distance of the LaRue kit I mentioned above,

Last edited:
If it is just for punching paper and smaller critters I'd look hard at the 224Valkyrie.

Larue Tactical makes a complete upper assembly for just under $800 that comes with EVERYTHING you need; upper/handguard, barrel, gas block/tube, BCG, charging handle, buffer tube, recoil spring/buffer, stock, grip, trigger, lower parts kit etc... pretty much everything but the lower (which can be bought for $200 more once you order your upper kit); so for $1000 all in you could have yourself a bonefide LaRue AR. Their caliber selection is pretty comprehensive too. I just received a 12" 300 Blackout from them, the machining work is perfect, for a monolithic upper it is scary light, and it locks up almost so tight that I need tools to push the takedown pins on 3 different milspec forged lowers. It's an incredible value. For what you are wanting to do they offer an 18" Grendel or a 20" Valkyrie. If you went this route you'd only be out the money you've paid into your RRA upper, and you'd get a heck of a lot of value for it.

ETA... yes I know you are just looking for a barrel suggestion, in your parts list you didnt mention having any other parts for the upper beyond a stripped receiver, by the time you buy a barrel, BCG, charging handle, misc upper parts and a handguard you are going to be within spitting distance of the LaRue kit I mentioned above,
E$XCACTLY what I'm looking at to put on my Seekins Billet lower. .224 has it all

Check out Aero Precision. Just completed a 6.5 Grendel using Aero upper and lower, with a Faxon 20" heavy contour. Have a couple lowers collecting dust, considering 223 Wylde. Just not sold on the 224 Valkyrie yet.

Criterion. I bought a BCM 16 inch mid length upper in 410 SS and it turns out it's a criterion barrel. With IMI razorcore I get 2720 FPS and it's just MOA. Hornady match is very accurate but only about 2475-2500 FPS. I have no doubt with handloads it would be well below MOA and fast. If I was doing it over I'd go 18 inch and rifle length. Not for the velocity but the rifle length gas system does better suppressed. I have shot my 16 inch gun out to 800 but it's a chore. Anything inside 600 is a chip shot

Right now, I have Rock River lower Receiver (AR15), Rock River upper receiver. Seekins Precision LPK and Geisselle Super T trigger.
I don't want a long barrel, maybe 20", longer if I went carbon fiber cause it wouldn't add the weight.

I had two 223 AR's from very reputable manufacturers and good barrels that were 8 twist. I shoot lots of prairie dogs and like polymer tipped bullets for the explosive hits and lack of ricochet. They only come in 60 grain or less. Could not get good enough accuracy shooting the polymer tipped bullets and when talked to one of the manufacturers who basically guaranteed 1 moa told me they were shooting 77 grain bullets. So changed the barrels one to a 12 twist for a 223 and the other to a 14 twist in 204 Ruger. Heavy Lilja barrels. Both guns now shot the lighter bullets sub moa and are deadly on prairie dogs. So the answer to your question is what are you going to be shooting? For prairie dogs 500 yards for 22 cal is a good standard. Out to a 1000 probably 6mm or 6.5. I prefer 6mm or larger for coyotes since just want to kill them cleanly and not interested in fur. Next is what weight of bullet you plan to shoot and then choose the most accurate twist rate(usually lowest to stabilize your bullet) and you have your answer. There are many excellent barrel manufactures so take your pick, hammer, button or cut rifling and get a good smith who knows ARs to install it properly.

Satern, 20", 6.5 Gren, 1/4 moa, when I can hold still.

I have quite a few ARs for varmints coyotes and under I prefer my 6mmAR. 75 Vmaxs at 3200 fps/55 BTs at 3400+. Will also shoot the 108 grains accurately at around 2700 FPS. Check out AR15Performance his barres are a phenomenal value and **** accurate. Also check out BLACK HOLE WEAPONRY barres my .204 Ruger Barrel from them shoots factory 40 grain Vmaxs in the .2 range.

After some research, I'm seriously considering just ordering a LaRue Tactical rifle in 6.5 Grendel and sell what I have now.

But on the other hand, that's a $2000 rifle. If I get a quality barrel, bcg, gas block, gas tube, barrel nut and forend, I'll be about $800-$1000.
What I like about that idea is my RRA lower and stripped upper match perfectly together. And I like that.

But on the other hand, that's a $2000 rifle. If I get a quality barrel, bcg, gas block, gas tube, barrel nut and forend, I'll be about $800-$1000.
What I like about that idea is my RRA lower and stripped upper match perfectly together. And I like that.

Right... that's why I recommended you buy their Ultimate Upper Kit, it's $800 and comes with everything you need to build the exact same rifle except for the lower (which you can buy for $200 more once you have ordered the UUK).

Included in the kit (didnt link as I dont know how the forum treats linking to vendors, but go to their website and look under Uppers - AR15 Ultimate Upper Kit):
- Barrel in caliber of choice (6.5 Grendel, 224 Valk, 330Blk, 556 etc.)
- Stealth 2.0 monolithic upper/handguard assemble in keymod or mlok (FDE or Black)
- BCG (mine appears to be black nitride, or its the smoothest/slickest phosphate I have ever seen in my life)
- Charging handle (the one that came with my 300Blk was a PRI gas buster clone, so its not just a cheap throwaway deal)
- Lower parts kit with their 2 stage trigger (it's at least as good as the SSA-E I run in all my other guns, just based on feel)
- Polymer kit in color of choice FDE/Foliage/Black/Grey (pistol grip, index clips and RAT Stock)
- Milspec buffer tube, recoil spring, buffer
- LaRue muzzle brake (Im tossing this because I run a Dead Air can)

When I bought my UUK from them, I went ahead and ordered the billet lower for $200, but you already have one so save yourself the money. The upper included in the kit locks up super tight on handfull of milspec lowers I have on other builds. Again, this is a complete rifle for less than $1000, regardless of who made it its a great deal, and the LaRue barrels in one of my other AR's shoots consisten half MOA with 69gr Fed Gold Medal Match. I have no doubt this would get you what you are looking for without having to have a frankenstein rifle with parts for 15 different mfgs.

Tex, I see where you are coming from. In the UUK, it shows it comes with much more than I need... reference the circled parts in kit.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 143
Yeah, it definitely has more than you need... even if all you have for your upper is a stripped upper.

I was mostly commenting since you were, only a few posts ago, considering dropping $2000 on the full rifle and selling your RRA parts. You then decided you wouldnt because you could just spend $800-1000 to finish the existing project with quality components.

The other barrels people are listing here are excellent, pick a good manufacturer and put it together with other parts of comparable quality and you will no doubt be VERY happy. The UUK is just a 3rd option which involves spending the same $800 you laid out for completing your existing upper ($200 more if you went all the way and bought a lower from LaRue), but gets you the exact same upper as what is on the $2000 rifle you wanted (in fact if you order the lower it IS the exact same rifle, some assembly required).

If you went that route, you could A) put all the LaRue parts together and sell your RRA build B) build just the upper and have leftover parts that you could either sell or build into another rifle at some point in the future.