Barrel questions

bushwackr

Hello all. Im going to be rebarreling my stw savage. I had a chamber cast done and smith just confirmed my suspicion that throat is torched. My fault totally, shot a lot and upper end charges. Accuracy went away.
My question is , I'm thinking a 28" big sporter. .700 on the muzzle and 1:8 twist. I want to run bullets in the 162-180 gr range. Is that a stiff enough of a tube? Is 1:8 to fast or run 1:9, 1:8.5? Just curious what seems to be working with everyone else

If you're only going up to 180s you only need to go as fast as 1-9 twist.

My dad has a 7 mag with a 28" finish fluted #5 Lilja and it has always shot fantastic.

I would definitely go 8" twist, it made a world of difference in my 6.5's going to a faster twist of 8".
The same would be my go-to in a 7mm.
As to barrel length and diameter.
I run mine around .850-.950" and my comp barrels are 1.250" all the way.
I do have a few light Palma contour barrels, I forget what diameter they are at the muzzle, thinking .950" maybe?
.700" is more of a heavy sporter contour, it's your call, but too skinny for me, it will heat up quick.
The 28" is a good length.

Cheers.

I went with a 1:8.5 mcgowan for it. I wanted a little faster twist for the heavier bullets I wanted to use

For 180s I would not go slower than 8.5 twist. An 8 would be fine. I ran 180 ELD-Ms in my 8.5 twist 7mmRM and they ran great, Not at all in my 9.25 twist.