Barrel Question

Randy338

Ok i was cleaning my gun today and noticed this... I removed the Brake from the muzzle end and looked into the end area of the barrel. The barrel is a Stainless match grade barrel and I have cleaned it after every outing... until no blue patch..Any way i notice on three of the bullet lands they were copper in color about 2 inches into the bore....I cleaned again and i can not get the last two inches to look clean but i have no blue or dirty patches...I have been using bore tech Illiminator and Butches oil. I ran some Boretech copper cleaner down the bore and no change..I tried Butches bore shine and still no change....what is this any ideas???

When chemical cleaning does not work I switch to a mechanical method. Try using JB or a similar product. Some shooters use JB periodically just to remove any fouling that is not removed by their regular method.

You may also want to try a more aggressive copper remover like Barnes CR-10.

It is stubborn copper. Surprisingly, some of the best handlapped bores still have a problem with it. My .277 Hart bbl was the most difficult for me to clean. It took a LOT of work. Try various copper cleaners, as mentioned, the Barnes CR-10 is a good choice, soak the bore awhile but stay within recommendations.

Montana X-treme 50BMG made the biggest difference for me in my Hart bbl., even over Wipeout.

What the barrel makers will tell you though, is that if it isn't hurting accuracy, don't worry about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts