Barrel question among others

freebird63

I have a sendero 300RUM, I will leave out the old info and start out new. First off the gun does not have a brake, it use to, but thats another story. On January 5th I had low back surgery. I won't see my surgeon until Feb 1st and will talk to him then but am not sure he put the recoil energy into terms that might have a negative effect on my back because I never want to go through that again.
One thing I really want to do is get a new barrel as I have quite a few rounds through the barrel. I am looking at several different barrel makers, lilja, krieger, broughton and hart. I want to keep the sendero contour, 1/10 twist, fluted barrel. I either want the finished length to be 28 or 30 inches and then I also want to have a muzzle brake put on, so if I go with a 30 inch barrel that will take it out to say 32 inches. I know alot of people do not like brakes and I don't care for them either but if it means being able to shoot my gun or not I will take a brake. What are some of the better more effective at removing most of the recoil???
Anyone have any advice they would care to share with me???
I had even considered having it rechambered to a 7MM STW, but that seems like it would be more a pain then staying with the same caliber, the 300RUM will do everything I want it to do. I have already found a pretty good load for it, will only be shooting a 180gr bullet so that will cut back on recoil compared to the 210 bergers I was shooting.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Chuck

There are several things that you can do to reduce recoil Energy and recoil velocity.

With the barrel size already decided, you should go to a 3 or 4 port brake (The large ports are
the most effective).next you can change to a laminate stock.(They are a little heaver and
dampen harmonics and felt recoil).

If you don't flute the barrel this will help also.

Also you can use 165 or 180 grain bullets with a slower burning powder to reduce recoil
velocity.

With these changes the 300 can feel like a weak 308 win.

J E CUSTOM

About the fluting of the barrel, how does this help if you don't flute it???
I also see some people mention putting recoild dampeners in the stock, am not sure if my stock has room for that or not??? I just have the stock HS precision stock that comes with the sendero. Yes I will be shooting 180gr hornady SST bullets with retumbo powder.

Not fluting the barrel adds weight, that's all. More weight less recoil.

Your idea to go to a 7mm would be a good one. It is the perfect time to switch as your old barrel is tired. If you compare similar BCs in 300 RUM vs the 7 STW cal the STW has approx 20% less recoil. I used the 168 VLD vs your old 210 VLD for the comparison. Jon Sundra was always touting the 7mms as a better choice due to the less recoil.

A mercury recoil reducer adds weight and can help too. A friend put two in his 338 RUM and he says it is much nicer to shoot. The dead mule brand requires a 7/8" dia hole approx 4 1/2 long.

Cabelas has a great soft rubbery slipover recoil pad called the Shooter's Friend:

Cabela's: The Shooter's Friend Recoil Pad

It sure helps when shooting the big guns on the bench.

Maybe you can build another 300 RUM. In the meantime as you heal perhaps a killer 6mm or 6.5 would be a good rifle to shoot till you are 100%?

Trust me if I was not unemployed I would be getting a 6.5X284 to shoot while I heal. I hope my doctor is a gun shooter and has some understanding of the amount of recoil my gun puts out. I know the longer I wait the busier the barrel builders going to get. Am sure they are heading into their busy season. But can't do anything until I get my taxes back.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.