Barrel Profile advice

Crews

Hello all! For my first post on LRH I'd like to ask for some advice on barrel make and profile. I have a FN TSR in 308. Love the action, (M70) not so crazy about some of the other components. Plus, I like to customize. So I have already acquired a McMillan game scout, CDI dbm unit, and a Timney trigger to drop in.

The purpose for this particular rifle is a general purpose deer/hog hunting gun for when I'm riding around at the ranch, max range 600 yards. Will be shot out of the truck window, and out of the stand. Lots of walk-in hunts as well. The rifle currently has a 24" fluted barrel, that I would guess was a medium-ish profile. Not sure. It'll shoot sub-moa cold 3 shot groups easy. It doesn't take to terribly long to heat up and start opening up the groups if I shoot 5-8 times in a couple minutes.

I'd like to have a short 18-20" with enough thickness to fill out my Game Scout stock and resist the heat a little bit better, but I don't want it to be an absolute slug to tote around. Also, I'd like to find something with a pretty decent lead time. Can such a thing be bought ready to install? What are some of your reccommendations?

I'd get a bartlein blank and have a good smith chamber and fit it. Personally I wouldn't go any shorter than 20" with a contour of at least #4 and up, which should get you about 0.800" or more at the muzzle. Beware when ordering you are very specific about desired dimensions, I'm speaking from experience. OR you could order whatever contour from a distributor (or bartlein for that matter) and have your smith cut it to your length.

EDIT: I like bartlein, but any reputable barrel maker will yield good results. Just decide on your preferred dimensions. I just looked at the bartlein contour page, looks like they added a few more contours as well as a non-refund on altered contours. This coincidentally showed up a few weeks after I had to return 2 barrels.

also, this barrel will most likely be threaded so I can use my Ti suppressor on it. Is there some minimum thickness @ muzzle that I need to stay above?

Bartlein will cut any contour that you send them specs for but it may take a while to get it. I would just measure your barrel channel in the stock you have and check out the barrel makers specs on their websites. You should be able to find a Krieger, Bartlein, or others in stock and have your smith cut it to your length. Most likely a #5 krieger, a 3b Bartlein, or a light Palma in either would work......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.