barrel painting

robinstan

I tried to search this but was not able to come up with any information. I would like to know if painting a stainless barrel is ok or does it hurt accuracy,heat retention or what is the correct way to do it if it is ok. I would like to keep from being so obvious while in the field hunting. Thanks for any input.

Painting the exterior of the barrel will have no ill effects on accuracy. Brownells Aluma-Hyde II works realy well if your patient enough to leave it alone and cure for a week. its pretty tough when the job is done right and it comes in alot of colors.
You could also look at having the SS barrle blasted with eother glass beads or better yet Aluminum oxide it;ll give a no gloss matte finish that won't reflect. Most deciant machine shops will have a blasting cabnet and shoulden't much at all to shoot it.
As for the heat question , I have heard that a Black barrle will disipate heat faster than a shiney silver one. I know that the black one will heat up faster if left out in the sun. but as far as shooting causing the heat i don't think that their is enough differance for a human to tell

IF its a stainless bbl, bead blasting will make the bbl cool faster, increases the surface area of the metal. A black bbl will get very hot sitting in the direct sunlight, but there are no ill effects for painting a bbl black, having it teflon coated is another option. Talk with Shawn Carlock, he can do that for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts