Barrel manufacturer?

MagnumManiac

Hi all,
I'm currently running Hart and Bartlein barrels in 300WM and 264WM in one rifle, and 22-250AI and 6.5x47 in another for F-Class.
My hankering for something else is biting hard, and I would like some opinions on Kreiger barrels and the groove configurations they offer.
Currently, my barrels are 3 or 4 groove with standard twist or one inch faster.
I have one 5R barrel, I don't know if I'm sold on this yet.
Kreiger offer 4 or 5R in 6.5 @ 1:8" twist, which is what I'll be using. In 30 cal they offer 4 or 5R as well and 1:10" twist, which is what I will use.
How good are Kreiger barrels, are the twists they advertise true and correct and which groove pattern do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
:)

Take a look ar Dan Muller and his barrels. He went out on his own now and runs Mullerworks. Bugholes carries them. He does both cut and button. He's buttons are well known in the rimfire comps. My next centerfire will be from him and picking up one of his 22 rimfires for a cz build. I usually use Bartlien and have been happy with them. Have a 6mm 7.5 on its way from Bartlien.

Hi all,
I'm currently running Hart and Bartlein barrels in 300WM and 264WM in one rifle, and 22-250AI and 6.5x47 in another for F-Class.
My hankering for something else is biting hard, and I would like some opinions on Kreiger barrels and the groove configurations they offer.
Currently, my barrels are 3 or 4 groove with standard twist or one inch faster.
I have one 5R barrel, I don't know if I'm sold on this yet.
Kreiger offer 4 or 5R in 6.5 @ 1:8" twist, which is what I'll be using. In 30 cal they offer 4 or 5R as well and 1:10" twist, which is what I will use.
How good are Kreiger barrels, are the twists they advertise true and correct and which groove pattern do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
I like Krieger very much as well as Battlein. My 30/375 S.I. has a Krieger 4 groove, 10 twist Sendero contour and is one of my most accurate rifles. I have a 5r Krieger in a 7 SS, which shoots very well. My 3 Bartleins are all 5r and are equally as good. I have not yet had a Rock Creek, but have heard they are second to none.....rich

I have 2 brux, 2 bartlien and a Krieger. Out of the 3 it is a crap shoot for which is the best. My Krieger is a 10 twist 4 groove heavy varmint cut to 16.5 inches in 308 and will hold under .5 moa easily if I do my part. I have had zero problems with any of these barrels shooting under .5 but I have 1 brux and 1 bartlien that will consistently shoot in the high .1s or low .2s. The most important thing out of any of the barrels mentioned is the smith that does the work and the nut behind the trigger.

Thanks for the replies, happy to see no bad words so far.

I really don't know what to do, my 3 groove barrels are really good shooters and faster than typical grooves.

Oh, my barrels in both rifles run from 1.250/1.30" to 1.00" at the muzzle, no matter the length, the shortest I run is 26". I want stiff barrels, so would I be better off getting an unfinished blank or getting them to contour them?
I think I read they can be supplied in 32" unfinished length.

Cheers.
:confused:

In longrange Benchrest its very hard to beat a 6mm 4 groove Krieger. The 4 groove in general out performs the 5r even within the same manufacturer. In the larger calibers the R profile seems to shoot fine. I personally will go with a Krieger 4 groove or a Rock Creek 5r for most builds with a Broughton 5c up there as well. Brux makes a very good barrel as well.

Last edited:
So many good barrels these days.

I agree with the statement who does the chambering being more important, and the quality of the reamer.

I generally let the smith choose, and it's worked well. I've ended up with a variety of barrels, all which have worked well.

So many good barrels these days.

I agree with the statement who does the chambering being more important, and the quality of the reamer.

I generally let the smith choose, and it's worked well. I've ended up with a variety of barrels, all which have worked well.
I do the chambering/polishing myself. Have had eccentric chambers cut/chip nicks/rough throats cut by gunsmiths, how, I do not know.
I use custom match grade reamers mostly.

I have some 6.5 and 30 cal button rifled blanks here, they are Australian made, the smoothness is awesome, BUT they are 6 groove, this is all they offer unfortunately. These will replace my 264WM and 300WM hunting barrels when I wear them out.

Cheers.

I've used Hart, Benchmark, Pac-Nor, X-Caliber, Obermeyer, Brux, Bartlein and Rock Creek barrels .... out of those was most impressed with Brux, Bartlein and especially Rock Creek, pretty much use them exclusively now... have been shooting new Rock 5R's in 6.5 mm 7 tw, 30 cal 10 and 8 tw, 338 cal 10 and 9.3 tw and 375 cal 7.5 tw and 8 tw that shoot absolutely fantastic, have two more 375's, two 408's, a 25 cal, a 6.5mm, a 30 cal coming and will be ordering a big, long fast tw 30 cal for my 300 Slayer wildcat, thems 230 gr Sierra's gonna fly fast n far, will be ready for them 245 gr Bergers

Haven't had a Krieger yet but did I mention I really, really like Rock Creek barrels ?

hear a lot of good things about Hawk Hill barrels and would absolutely love to get my hands on one .... in any caliber ..... but it seems as if they are only available to certain individuals

I have two krieger barrels, one is a 4 groove 8 twist chambered in .260 Ackley, the other is a 4 groove 7.5 twist chambered in .264 win mag, and will be sending the 150 sierras, and 156 Bergers when they come out. The .260 is outstanding, and haven't shot the .264 yet. Also the people at krieger are great to deal with, and don't mind talkin on the phone for a bit.

On a different note, I can say the same for carbon six as well. Great company, and the owner is a great guy as well.

Lots of good choices but my favored barrel is the Krieger. I'm currently running a 4 grove, 8 twist, Med Palma on my 6.5x47 Lapua used for PRS. .1-.2MOA/5shot, cold bore on, hot/cold, dirty....same POI. Using 130 Berger OTM's.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.