? Barrel maker

martyj

I bought a rifle and am trying to determine what type of barrel is on it.
The only markings are 300 remington ultra mag.
The writing is in cursive.
It was someones custom rifle and they sure did a good job of making things fit work and shoots 1 hole at 200 yards.
thankyou

Sounds like a Benchmark Barrel by the way it shoots. :D I'll try to upload pics.

Attachments

• 20150428_120925.jpg
    20150428_120925.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 84
Caliber is etched on the barrel by the gunsmith. Unless you got the breach end wafer with the manufactures information, when you bought the rifle, I'm afraid you are out of luck.

It was someones custom rifle and they sure did a good job of making things fit work and shoots 1 hole at 200 yards.
thankyou

Like was said, once the barrel's chambered and the breech end with the makers stamping is cut off there's really no way to tell.

However, if it's shooting like that does it really matter :)

Count the lands and grooves, that might help narrow it down a bit. Also, you said it's blued so that rules out a couple of makers like Hart that only make stainless.

Back in the 80's I decided I wanted to build a custom 221 Rem for walk up chucks. Bought a beautiful birds eye maple stock, and a Sako A-1 action. Wanted a short, bbl, 3/4th inch at muzzle. Checked around, could not find the right .224 bbl. Went to my regular smith, told him my story, asked for a recommendation. He pulled a bbl out from his storage room and said "Want this one?" He traded a guy this and other bbls for labor in building him a gun. No markings on it, no breech end id. 14" CM, exactly what I wanted. Smith gave me a good price on bbl and labor to chamber.

This bastard bbl shoots exceptionally well. Consistent half min groups So I do not care who made it.

I mark the maker and the twist on every barrel I install. I mark it on the bottom of barrel under the stock. Cartridge is marked on side of barrel in sight.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.