Barrel maker suggestions?

Kilo 3017

Hey Guys I'm getting ready to re barrel a savage of mine and need to know what barrel maker to go with. I've considered Lilja, Krieger and Shilen for far, but I'm open to suggestion.

I'm leaning more and more to the cut rifled barrels like Kreiger , I've had good luck with all the bigger makers never geting a "turd" barrel , the current wait times a kinda long running 8-12 weeks and their prices are all very close.

Brux is showing a big success in accurate barrels and fast turn around times , "308nate" has used a few and realy likes them , his new 7mm-300WSM is an amazing shooter.

I'm currently having a couple 308's built , ones gonna have a Broughton 1-10 twist barrel with the 5C lands and the other is gonna have a Rock Creek 1-10 twist 5R barrel , I'm sure that they will both shoot well past my desired 1/2 MOA as the smith is much more than able.

Are you having this barrle prefitted to match the factory barrel setup with the nut or are you gonna have it installed with the shoulder like the remington

All but one of my Shilen's have done great, and my Broughton and Krieger have been as good as I can shoot-probably better. I have one lilja that shoots lights out too. A new guy on the block (old name/new ownership-new staff) is McGowen. Mine is a keeper and I will be getting more of them in the near future.
If i had to pick one, it would be cut rifling-Krieger

I just had a two 30-06 rebarrel used a Bartlein 5R 1/11 twist other used a 1/11 twist Lilja both are good barrels. I had a Lawton put on a 270WSM I kind of like to spread things out. Well good luck

I also have used Lilja and McGowen. I am very happy w/ both. The McGowen project was done in just over a month. I sent the rifle to them and they did all the fitting. Also trued the action, and lapped the lugs. This was a #4 stainless, 24", fluted, all done under $600. Break in was a breeze. Little or no copper fouling. Easy to clean. I will probably use them for the next project.

Give them a call @ 406-755-4907, ask for John. Very nice guy, he'll be happy to hear from you.

Good luck w/ your project,
Steve

I forgot to mention that I have two Lawton's that I am very pleased with as well--Lot of good barrel makers out there these days.

Kreiger barrels is probably top on my list but their lead times keep getting longer and longer. I've had 2 barrels on order from them since May and I just got the paper saying they are ready for shipment this past week. A 20 week wait. They make a great barrel if your willing to be patient. Broughton, Hart and Lilja or some of my other favorites. I've had a couple "turd" barrels from some previously mentioned barrel makers, and it was their lack of customer service which leads me to not use them again. I've deffinately learned to bore scope every barrel before I do any cutting on them, then I'm not out the cost a chamber job, muzzle brake and blueing.

I have had to make this choice recently and I wound up going with the schillen #8 contour. very pleased with the results so far and I am only about half the way through the load development stage. Like was said to me, a good barrel in the hands of a poor smith is a recipee for disaster. A good barrel in the hands of a good smith will result in nothing less than expected.

I had Sharp Shooter send me a Douglas Air Guage and it is a real shooter. Much better than anything I have every had. This question might be the old which is better, Ford or Chevy trucks, ask 10 folks and get 11 answers.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.