Barrel Life?

HARPERC

I searched through the old threads, and articles on Barrel Life. I found a line I really liked.

"When I replace a shot out barrel I get a sense of satisfaction that it has likely served me well and delivered the goods." Greyfox.

If you're new to the site, and scrolling through the threads, and see Greyfox in the last message column stop scrolling and read it.

It's popped up in a couple of threads recently, and seems to generate a lot of emotion. It's seems as automatic a response as "You'll shoot your eye out kid" when talking BB guns.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on barrel life, how you formed them, and how it figures into your use of firearms in the present.

First one is what do you consider life expectancy? For a competition shooter the barrel may be "wore out" after a couple thousand rounds for their use but would be useful for several thousand more for hunting.

Some calibers can cause major wear within a couple thousand rounds where other guns like .22 have an almost infinite life.
Most military rifles have an expected life in the 40-50,000 range.

I personally have yet to shoot out a barrel, but I'm on the same page as Mr. Greyfox. I will say that I have one rifle that I don't want to use up, for sentimental reasons, but I don't shoot it much anyway. All the rest, are tools. I use my tools. I can't help but shake my head in wonder at some of the posts I read about worrying over barrel life. I understand the investment, both in time and money, for a high grade barrel. I don't understand the mind set of limiting ones use of something that was built for enjoyment out of fear of using it up. If it sits in the closet, I am not getting any enjoyment out of it. In my mind, for myself, it's like buying a screw driver that is only good for a certain number of screws, and then counting the screws driven , dreading the day when it drives it's last screw. Or worse, not using it, just BECAUSE that day is coming. I dunno, maybe I am all screwed up.
Gregg

I'm attached to one. I have one that is the most accurate rifle I have seen. I dropped a node to help it along. Still just as accurate. Screw drivers and average rifles no problem. Got'm and use them. This one is for that special long range hunt or to shut down a friend and take his lunch money. When that day comes I think I want to try to rechamber.

Barrel life has so many different causes, that I have never been able to predict when with any real accuracy, so I just let the barrel tell me when and move on.

I have pushed some barrels hard and still had a wide range of firings with these before accuracy failure. (As few as 400 rounds to as many as 3,000.

I have also had barrels that were not loaded hard that also had seen a wide range of shots before the accuracy fell off.

Good maintenance and common sense firing seemed to prolong all of these barrels.

There is also the unexplained barrels that should have given up after 3 or 4,000 rounds, that accuracy is still good at 20 to 30,000 rounds.

So even though barrel life is of great concern, I don't worry about when it will happen, gust if I can prolong it.

Most barrels will give you a lifetime of good service if you take good care of them, and if they don't, except it, re barrel or move on.

J E CUSTOM

I look at it this way, barrels are like tires. When your tires wear out, you replace them. Same goes for barrels, theyre expendable. I do have one rifle however, that I never plan on rebarreling as I plan to never shoot that one out. At the current rate of shooting my 6.5 I'm guessing I'll rebarrel within the next 3 years or so.

I think MOA gets us lost when talking hunting/sniping rifles. It's something handed down from other disciplines, and it gets overemphasized. 3-5-10 round groups are good, but is it relevant to achieve the one and done we're looking for?

I think MOA gets us lost when talking hunting/sniping rifles. It's something handed down from other disciplines, and it gets overemphasized. 3-5-10 round groups are good, but is it relevant to achieve the one and done we're looking for?

+1
I think MOA is a way to determine the quality of your weapon and reloads.
the rest is left up to the hunter/shooters ability.

If it takes shooting out a barrel to become a good shot, so be it.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Shooting a barrel out is kind of a goal where you're the winner. You've probably had a lot of fun and enjoyed your time behind the trigger of a very fine fire arm. Yes I've got a couple that I'll be sad when it happens, but it doesn't stop me from shooting them. They are just plain fun to shoot. I try to be sensible about it, no rapid fire just to see if I can get it hot enough to burn you etc. Not concerned if I can hot rod the load, just try and find a good middle of the road speed that shoots good. Be safe and have fun.

+1
I think MOA is a way to determine the quality of your weapon and reloads.
the rest is left up to the hunter/shooters ability.

If it takes shooting out a barrel to become a good shot, so be it.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Shooting out a barrel to become a good shot....working on It!
Gregg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts