Barrel life question

dustybrown

I am about to have Len build me a 6.5 of some type as soon as my taxes get back. I was thinking hard on the .260 AI but I have not ruled out the 6.5-284. Im wanting to shoot alot!!!! I am afraid of the 284 shooting it self out too soon. What kind of accuracy loss is typical for a shot out 284 ? I dont need one hole groups but want the most I can get of course. I want to shoot MOA at 1000. Will this be posible after 1200 rounds down a 6.5-284 ? The only thing holding me back from the 6.5x47 lapua or the .260 AI is performance on deer at long range. Help ???? Am i asking too much for a one rifle job ? Any input would be much appreciated..... Thanks in advance....

Sounds like you need the 7mm08 or the 308. They offer better barrel life and offer better terminal performance further out than the 260 remmy.

You say you want to shoot alot. The 6.5x284 is murder on barrel life. It is an awesome round but leaves alot to be diesired for guys that like to shoot alot.

There is nothing the 708 or 308 cant do that the 260 remington can EXCEPT for have equal wind drift for the same amount of recoil. you can actually get less wind drift with the 708 or 308 than the 260, just with more recoil. A common misconception is that the smaller the caliber the higher the BC's and that is not true. It is typically true that equal weight for equal weight of bullet, the smaller caliber will have a higher BC. The truth is that the larger the caliber, the higher the BC potential. Unfortunately, with higher recoil. On the other hand, (all other factors being equal) the larger the bore, the faster you can run bullets of equal weights from a smaller caliber.

The 162 AMAX (7mm) and the 208 AMAX (308) have super high BC's which helps them dope the wind better than the 140 class bullets. With the added weight for energy and higher BC for less windage, the 708 or 308 is a fine LR deer caliber that you can milk ALOT of freakin rounds through and still have manageable recoil.

FWIW, I am running 200 SGK's out of my 308 winnie at 2675 FPS and 208 AMAX's at 2650 and am working on a load that tops out at over 2700. Either load would dispatch a deer way the heck out there. I know other shooters running the 162 AMAX out of the 708 at 2750-2800 FPS. If you run those numbers against the 260 remmy, I think you will be suprised. The 260 would make a fine match rifle due to its low recoil and decent ballistics but from an energy standpoint from a case that will offer you long barrel life as well as long range deer performance, the 708 or 308 will be tough to beat short of stepping up to a short mag.

The 260 remmy, the 6.5x284, the 708 and the 308 will ALL shoot sub MOA at 1K yards.

Last edited:
For 26cal
I'm sure you'd still get 1moa from a 6.5/284 at 1200 rnds.
You'd get ~1800 full accuracy shots with a 260AI.
Don't even bother with the mini mouse 6.5x47L for LR hunting.

Ya ive been kicking that 708 around in my head for a year now. I have a lilja bbl 300 rum that shoots lights out better than I do. wanted to see if recoil was holding me back... If I fed the 284 a low powder diet for most of my shooting I guess I could max it out for game. I have a 7mm rem mag too. Huge can of worms for me to decide. Lens new build will be by far the most expensive rifle I have.... spin the wheel I guess and see where it lands...

Adding my 2 cents worth

I've been competing in 1000yd long range rifle with a Remington Action and Shilen barrel in 1 in 9" twist caliber 7MM 08

I've gotten 162 Amx , 168 Sierra Match and 175 Sierra Match at avg velocities 2560 to 2700 fps ( muzzle chrony )

168 and 175 in 15 to 25 mph winds always hit the target...my rifle prefers H414 , then varget and finally IMR 4895

video link on You Tube
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J4Hy1zfT7Y]1000 yd 7MM08 Movie.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Now my hunting rifle 7MM 08 is Remington 700 Varminter and I've taken Texas Mule Deer out at 400 yds and Antelope at 750 yds max with 165 Sierra's and IMR 4895

I've got my loads posted in the archives

Hope this helps you decide in favor of the 7MM 08

A great article on the 260 AI in varmint hunter magazine, check it out. Looks good to me I wouldn't hesitate to build one for LR hunting for Deer sized game.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.