Barrel Life? A Factor to consider.

Quarterbore

New to the board, Lot's of good info here.
My question is alot of long range shooters are going to these 6.5mm wildcats like the 6.5-284, 6.5wsm, 6.5-06 etc. I understand they have high ballistic coeficient and have many qualities to make them and accurate round. HOWEVER I don't know the Barrel life expectancey of these compared to the .308. I'm sure the type of barrel is a factor as well.

How many rounds down range before rebarreling, on average that is.

Also curious if any one has any info on barrel life of the .300WSM

confused.gif

All of the cartridges that you mentioned have a case capacity greater than the .308 and a smaller bore to funnel the burning powder through. Naturally, the barrel life will be noticeably less than a .308win.
How many rounds will a barrel last for is rather subjective and relys on factors like type of powder, charge weight, pressure, and cooling time between shots or groups.
Even a 223 can be shot out in days if it subjected to enough heavy use(abuse).
VH

I'd say the life of a 6.5 284/wsm/06/300wby is several (3-4 or more)thousand rounds at least. I've never beleived in the "worn out barrel" idea. I just wish they didnt' last so long so I'd HAVE to change something.

Ditto on what 4Mesh said. I use 3 Groove barrels and Danzak coated bullets, and a good start up procedure after cleaning. I can't say I have ever burnt the throat out of a long range rifle. Makes me wonder what some of these guys are doing to waste a barrel in 800 rounds.

Big cartridges do not burn throats, PEOPLE burn throats out.

26 rounds of 6.5x284 in 25 minutes will smoke a throat.... That's the standard NRA Prone match COF..... 3-4000 rounds from a FagMag,,,, no way....

FatBoy...

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.