Barrel length?

If I owned a Fieldcraft, I would not modify it in any way, they are becoming somewhat collectable and cutting the barrel would diminish the value. For me, I'd be happy with a 24" barrel.

If you are just tree stand hunting, Id say it doesn't matter and 21 would be plenty as long as accuracy stays good. The velocity loss really wouldn't make a difference at that close of range.

We hunt power lines, gas lines, and cutovers. Also, use Gentry muzzle breaks and 21" still puts a lot of concussion on your head. Dssharpe1, you are correct, We have half a dozen Model 7's for tight shooting situations. I wear electronic ear muffs, love grunting in deer.

I took my 20 inch 308 down to 16-1/2 suppressed. I lost 100 fps (around 2500 now) using M118 LRs.

View attachment 440574View attachment 440575

The 175 SMKs at 2500, I've taken hogs with them, farthest was 300 yards.
Love to see the cuts through the fluting. Lot of folks have been worried about doing that. Your's may be the first I've seen it done on. Thanks for the pic.

Love to see the cuts through the fluting. Lot of folks have been worried about doing that. Your's may be the first I've seen it done on. Thanks for the pic.
Close up of the cut

I have barrels like this now bamban. When you deal with changing the barrel length, you have an effect on harmonics. I would highly recommend a Tuner/ muzzle break...they work in spades.

I use brake on all my hunting rifles, but no tuners. Even the legacy Surefure FA762SS I use on some guns, I thread them and use the brake/adapter.

As long as they shoot a minute suppressed that's all I care on short range hunters.

I spun up a benchrest barrels threaded for tuners, mostly are 7/8x32. The BR crowd in our area are all using tuners.

My opinion on ultra light weight rifles is that you can absolutely shed the weight elsewhere in your gear...but you absolutely cannot replace the increased shoot-ability of a heavier rifle.
I agree. Lightweight rifles take more discipline to hold steady and shoot well. I prefer a heavier rifle and will trudge it up and down the mountain if I have to.

Last edited: